Pedestrian countdown timers
Pedestrians darting across the road at the last minute or taking longer to cross than expected can cause traffic flow to breakdown and increase driver frustration. This can become dangerous for all involved and cause increased congestion, especially during peak hours.
The introduction of pedestrian countdown timers, which replace the flashing red man, inform pedestrians of how many seconds they have left to cross the road. This means pedestrians are less likely to cross when there is not enough time to finish crossing safely, improving the intersection efficiency for both pedestrians and motorists, helping you get to your destination quicker.
When and where
After the initial trial in the CBD in 2014, countdown timers were expanded to 17 locations across the Perth metropolitan area.
In 2017, the program looked to install countdown timers to an even wider reach with a further 23 intersections receiving the treatment, which included five regional sites; two in Geraldton and Kalgoorlie and one in Bunbury. The remaining 18 locations were installed across the Perth metropolitan area.
The introduction of countdown timers has proved popular with pedestrians and motorists alike, as we have been receiving positive feedback since their first installation. The countdown timers now form part of the approved Main Roads' standards and will continue to be used to improve community safety and traffic flow as further sites are selected for improvements.
The sites that received countdown timers in 2017 included:
- St Georges Tce (Near King St, Perth)
- St Georges Tce (Near Sherwood Ct, Perth)
- St Georges Tce (Near Howard St, Perth)
- Victoria St (Great Eastern Hwy, outside Midland Railway Station, Swan)
- South St (Near Paget St, Hilton)
- Great Eastern Hwy (at Old Great Northern Highway West of Helena St, Swan)
- Fitzgerald St (Near View St, North Perth)
- Beaufort St (Near Ninth Ave, Inglewood)
- Chapman Rd (Near Armstrong St, Geraldton)
- Hannan St (Near Cassidy St, Kalgoorlie)
- Stirling St Pelican Crossing (Bunbury)
- Railway Rd (Near Evans St and Morgan St, Shenton Park)
- Sanford St (Near Durlacher St, Geraldton)
- Cape St (Near Tyler St, Tuart Hill)
- Wilson St (Near Wearne Ln, Kalgoorlie)
- Gugeri St (Near Bay View Tce, Claremont)
- Commerce Ave Pelican Crossing (Armadale)
- Curtin Ave (Near Grant St, Cottesloe)
- Curtin Ave (Near Port Beach Rd, North Fremantle)
- Canning Hwy (Near Hope Rd, Melville)
- Roberts Rd (Near Hamilton St, Subiaco)
- Amelia St (Near Collier Ave, Stirling)
- South West Hwy (Near Pitman Way, Byford)