Extensive planning has taken place in relation to the Perth Darwin National Highway since at least the 1990s. A range of planning studies were undertaken to investigate the preferred alignment and define the reservation for the future Perth Darwin National Highway in the following locations:
- Reid Highway to Maralla Road Bullsbrook
- Maralla Road Bullsbrook to Brand Highway Muchea
- Brand Highway Muchea to Bindoon
- Muchea to Bindoon
- Bindoon Deviation.
The planning studies took into account social, economic and environmental factors in consultation with a range of stakeholders, including landowners, local government and other stakeholder groups. Detailed information about these studies is available here.
Following completion of the planning studies, the project development phase was undertaken from June 2014 to early 2016. This work involved:
- Identify the long term transport requirements to service a growing Perth population and freight task beyond 2050;
- Securing land to accommodate this future road and transport corridor;
- Obtaining the enabling approvals;
- Reducing impacts associated with the corridor and identifying ways to maximise the project benefits; and
- Establishing the scope of works proposed for delivery from 2016 to 2019.
Visit the consultation history page for more information.