About NorthLink WA
NorthLink WA has a long term vision to cater for the traffic volumes associated with a future Perth population of 3.5 million. The Federal and State Governments have invested $1.02 billion, which will meet the following objectives:
- Improve freight capacity, efficiency and productivity;
- Reduce urban congestion now and into the future;
- Improve road safety in line with the State's 'Towards Zero' strategy;
- Maximise sustainability through economic, social and environmental responsibility;
- Improve amenity for the community, tourists and road users; and
- Create value through affordable infrastructure.
Commuters, tourists, freight and other road users travelling between Perth and the state's north currently use Great Northern Highway, the state's existing major northern route. While traffic volumes on the highway are increasing, there is limited opportunity for further upgrades.
NorthLink WA will take the pressure off Great Northern Highway by shifting the majority (around 80 per cent) of heavy vehicles over to the new route.
NorthLink WA is being constructed in three sections: