NorthLink WA has involved an extensive Community and Stakeholder Engagement Program that has allowed communities in all areas to be involved and provide feedback.
Project Development Phase (2014-2016)
During this phase, the following activities were undertaken to maximise community input:
- Providing information via newsletters, the website, newspaper articles and advertising, and letters to residents;
- Receiving information via an information line 138 138 and email address;
- Community information sessions;
- Regular community and stakeholder reference group meetings, with more than 60 community volunteers participating;
- Thirteen community information 'drop in' sessions (in Ellenbrook, Bullsbrook, Muchea, Morley and Ballajura) . These were attended by several hundred people, who had the opportunity to ask questions of the NorthLink WA team and review information about NorthLink WA; and
- Targeted meetings and briefings with community groups, local government authorities, schools, business groups and others. These included:
- The Vines Residents Association
- WA Road Transport Authority
- LWP Property Group (Ellenbrook)
- City of Bayswater (Councillors and officials)
- Town of Bassendean
- City of Swan (Councillors and officials)
- Shire of Chittering
- Whiteman Park
- Orchid Park residents
- Bullsbrook Residents and Ratepayers Association
- Cullacabardee Community
- Noranda Sporting Association
- Collier Road landowners and businesses
- Hampton Park Primary School
- The Friends of Whiteman Park
- Friends of Lightning Swamp Bushland
- Cyrenian House.
Community members advised that their main areas of interest were:
- Noise and visual impacts;
- Local area access;
- Protecting wetlands; and
- Public transport provision.
Planning Studies (pre-2014)
Several planning studies were undertaken for the Perth-Darwin National Highway prior to the Project Development phase. These studies were completed in 2013 and involved the following three areas:
- Reid Highway to Maralla Road Bullsbrook
- Maralla Road Bullsbrook to Brand Highway Muchea
- Brand Highway Muchea to Bindoon.
- Muchea to Bindoon
- Bindoon Deviation
Extensive consultation occurred in these locations from 2003 onwards, including direct liaison with landowners and all other stakeholders. A detailed overview, including links to all publications, is available here.