High Street Upgrade
Stirling Highway to Carrington Street
- High Street Upgrade between Stirling Highway and Carrington Street in Fremantle.
- Construction works anticipated to begin early-2020.
- Improve safety, freight efficiency and traffic flow for road users travelling to and from Fremantle.
Following consultation with the City of Fremantle, and taking into consideration previous feedback from local residents and stakeholders, a new draft concept plan has been developed:
- New roundabout at the intersection of High Street and Stirling Highway
- Wide median on High Street to separate traffic lanes and preserve a number of mature trees
- Single lane one-way service road for residents on the northern side of High Street
- New underpass at the junction of Forrest Street and Stirling Highway
- New underpass at the junction of Montreal Street and High Street
On 5 March 2019, the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) found the proposal to upgrade a section of High Street in Fremantle is environmentally acceptable, provided conditions to reduce noise levels, retain mature trees and minimising the impact on black cockatoo habitat are met.
For more information, see EPA media statement.
Public Comment - Environmental Review Document
As part of the environmental approvals process, the Environmental Review Document was available for public comment between Monday 17 December 2018 and 18 January 2019.
In line with the Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) Road and Rail Noise Policy (State Planning Policy 5.4), we undertook noise monitoring within the project area in June 2018.
The results have determined the project will include noise measures and a noise wall map has now been prepared.
See the Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
- 19 April to 31 May 2018: Community feedback
- April 2018 to March 2019: Project updates, including the outcomes of the community engagement made available
- November 2018 to June 2019: Tender phase
- September 2019: Contract expected to be awarded
- Construction works anticipated to begin early-2020