Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge
The Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge project is funded by the Commonwealth and State Governments as part of a $2.3 billion investment in road and rail infrastructure, announced by Premier Mark McGowan on 7 May 2017.
The project comprises construction of a bridge over Kwinana Freeway connecting Armadale Road to North Lake Road and construction of free flowing regional traffic lanes on Armadale Road through the Solomon Road and Tapper Road intersections. Full connectivity will be retained at the intersections of Solomon Road and Tapper Road through grade separated roundabouts.
The project will help address significant congestion in the Cockburn Central area resulting from the growth of Cockburn Gateway Shopping Centre, surrounding commercial, retail and residential development and the area’s proximity to Cockburn Central Station and Kwinana Freeway.
Community Engagement Update - May 2018
Community engagement for this project is underway. In the past month we have briefed local government, Members of Parliament and other local stakeholders and hosted the first meeting of our Community Reference Group. In the coming months we will liaise closely with local residents and businesses in the vicinity of the project area.
Our first project newsletter is now available to view. This newsletter introduces the project, explains why we need it and the summarises the benefits it will provide the local community and road users by relieving congestion at one of Perth’s worst intersections.
Project development update - 16 February 2018
In recent months, we have reassessed the original concept design for the project after the identification of environmental constraints. This resulted in a slight delay to our program of project development and community engagement.
These issues have been mitigated through development of two alternative options for the section of Armadale Road between Solomon Road and Tapper Road which address constraints associated with groundwater while maintaining free-flowing connectivity between Armadale Road and North Lake Road and connections to the local road network.
The project is currently in the Development Phase, which comprises:
- Confirmation of scope in consultation with community and stakeholders
- Obtaining project approvals and clearances required for construction commencement
- Development of a concept design
- Identification of land requirements and land acquisition.
Following completion of project development, it is likely this project will be delivered as a Design & Construct contract. Later this year we will ask shortlisted proponents to develop and price two designs. As part of this process, industry participants will be invited to identify innovative design solutions that deliver optimum outcomes for the project and value for money for Government and the community.
Scope of works
- Construction of a bridge over Kwinana Freeway.
- Grade separated intersections between Armadale Road and Solomon and Tapper Roads.
- North-facing on/off ramps and two lane collector distributor roads on both sides of the Kwinana Freeway from Berrigan Drive to Armadale Road.
- Modifications to the existing North Lake Road / Midgegooroo Avenue signalised intersection.
- Two lanes in each direction for free flowing regional traffic from west of the Armadale Road / Solomon Road intersection to east of the Armadale Road / Tapper Road intersection.
- Two lane collector distributor roads adjacent to the regional traffic lanes between Armadale Road / Solomon Road intersection and the Armadale Road / Tapper Road intersection.