Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge
The Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge project is funded by the Commonwealth and State Governments as part of a $2.3 billion investment in road and rail infrastructure, announced by Premier Mark McGowan on 7 May 2017.
The project comprises construction of a bridge over Kwinana Freeway connecting Armadale Road to North Lake Road and construction of free flowing regional traffic lanes on Armadale Road through the Solomon Road and Tapper Road intersections. Full connectivity will be retained at the intersections of Solomon Road and Tapper Road through grade separated roundabouts.
The project will help address significant congestion in the Cockburn Central area resulting from the growth of Cockburn Gateway Shopping Centre, surrounding commercial, retail and residential development and the area’s proximity to Cockburn Central Station and Kwinana Freeway.
Proposals called from industry for design and construction
The project is a step closer with proposals called from industry for its design and construction. Two shortlisted consortia have been invited to submit costed proposals, with the contract to be delivered in the form of an Alliance with Main Roads. Contract award is scheduled for mid-2019 with construction anticipated to commence in the second half of the year.
Ghostgum Avenue Update – October 2018
In recent months, we have carefully assessed the most appropriate configuration for the intersection of Armadale Road and Ghostgum Avenue. Consideration was given to the safety of road users and pedestrians, as well as the need to accommodate larger volumes of traffic into the future.
We can now confirm that this intersection will take the form of modified traffic signals, with additional eastbound and westbound lanes to accommodate future traffic growth. A second right turn lane from Ghostgum Avenue will be added to improve access from Calleya and Treeby onto Armadale Road westbound (towards Cockburn Central and Kwinana Freeway).
Community engagement update
Community engagement activity for the project is well underway.
We recently met with Atwell residents and local business representatives to discuss the two options under consider for the intersection of Armadale Road and Solomon Road. Each session resulted in some very positive and constructive feedback, which will be carefully considered and incorporated into our ongoing concept development activity.
Our latest presentation material is now available to view.
Expressions of Interest called for construction of bridge
Expressions of Interest have been called from industry to construct Armadale Road and North Lake Road Bridge, which will address congestion at Kwinana Freeway, Armadale Road and Beeliar Drive interchange - Perth’s fifth most congested intersection.
View the media statement on the announcement.
The project is currently in the Development Phase, which comprises:
- Confirmation of scope in consultation with community and stakeholders
- Obtaining project approvals and clearances required for construction commencement
- Development of a concept design
- Identification of land requirements and land acquisition.
Following completion of project development, it is likely this project will be delivered as an Alliance contract. Later this year we will ask shortlisted proponents to develop and price two designs. As part of this process, industry participants will be invited to identify innovative design solutions that deliver optimum outcomes for the project and value for money for Government and the community.
Scope of works
- Construction of a bridge over Kwinana Freeway.
- Grade separated intersections between Armadale Road and Solomon and Tapper Roads.
- North-facing on/off ramps and two lane collector distributor roads on both sides of the Kwinana Freeway from Berrigan Drive to Armadale Road.
- Modifications to the existing North Lake Road / Midgegooroo Avenue signalised intersection.
- Two lanes in each direction for free flowing regional traffic from west of the Armadale Road / Solomon Road intersection to east of the Armadale Road / Tapper Road intersection.
- Two lane collector distributor roads adjacent to the regional traffic lanes between Armadale Road / Solomon Road intersection and the Armadale Road / Tapper Road intersection.