Karel Avenue Upgrade
The Karel Avenue Upgrade forms part of a $2.3 billion package of road and rail infrastructure works, funded by the State and Commonwealth Governments and announced by Premier Mark McGowan on 7 May 2017.
The $15 million project comprises upgrades to the Roe Highway and Karel Avenue interchange including widening of the existing Karel Avenue bridge. It will improve access to Roe Highway and Kwinana Freeway for the residents of Leeming and Bull Creek, and remove a bottleneck on the approach to the Jandakot Airport precinct, which when developed, is expected to support in excess of 8,000 jobs and 300 businesses.
Request for proposals issued for design and construction - April 2018
Industry has been issued with requests for proposals for the design and construction of the widening of Karel Avenue bridge across Roe Highway and lengthening of the existing Karel Avenue bridge across the freight rail line immediately to the south of Roe Highway to facilitate construction of the Thornlie to Cockburn rail line as part of Metronet.
As part of the proposal process and subject to available funds, we will also investigate opportunities to widen Karel Avenue between Farrington Road and Roe Highway interchange and south of the Karel Avenue bridge and Berrigan Drive roundabout.
See the latest Project Update for more information.
Scope of works
- Widening Karel Avenue bridge over Roe Highway to create a dual carriageway over Roe Highway, connecting at the two-lane dog-bone roundabouts for on and off-ramps
- Extending Karel Avenue bridge across the freight railway line located immediately south of Roe Highway to facilitate construction of the Thornlie-Cockburn Link as part of METRONET
- Extending the existing Karel Avenue underpass to accommodate the widening
- Road tie-ins on the northern and southern ends of the two-lane dog bone roundabouts on Karel Avenue into the existing single carriageway
- Modifying the existing Training Place intersection to left in and left out to promote safe access
Optional works (subject to funding)
- Widening of Karel Avenue between the Farrington Road intersection and Roe Highway to a four-lane dual carriageway
- Widening of Karel Avenue between Roe Highway and the Berrigan Drive roundabout to a four-lane dual carriageway, including modifications to the associated roundabout approaches to enable two lanes in each direction