South Coast Highway Road Safety Improvements
Albany to Jerramungup
- Widening, sealed shoulders and construction of 3 passing lanes.
- A staged program is planned for three years.
- Improve road safety, reduce travel times.
- Motorists travelling between Jerramungup and Albany may be impacted by roadworks on the highway. Visit our Travel Map to find all roadwork, event and incident information you need to plan your trip.
Image: South Coast Highway with new line marking and cones on the road
South Coast Highway is the major west-east inter-regional route and the sole freight and tourism route from the Eastern States to the Great Southern. As a strategic freight route, it carries large amounts of freight to the ports of Albany and Esperance.
A staged program of road safety improvements is planned for the next three years, addressing the potential for road run-off crashes and driver fatigue, caused by the width and geometry of the road.
Mead Road Passing Lane - Completed June 2019
- Widened the existing pavement from 7 metres to 11 metres from Kilarney Road to Monty's Leap Winery, including a 2 metre sealed shoulder in each direction.
- Construction of a westbound passing lane between Killarney Road and Monty's Leap Winery, approximately 2.5 kilometres west of Kalgan River Bridge.
Kalgan Overlay and Widening – Completed April 2020
- Widened the existing pavement from 7 metres to 11 metres from Monty's Leap Winery to the Kalgan River Bridge, including a 2 metre sealed shoulder in each direction.
Kojaneerup - Currently under development
This section of work will include construction of two passing lanes between Bluff Creek Road and Kojaneerup West Road.
Works on the Kalgan section were completed in April 2020.
Kojaneerup works are in development and could commence in late 2020, subject to environmental approvals. Tenders will be called June 2020.
South Coast Highway passes through farmlands, regional parks and nature reserves, each carrying varying degrees of environmental controls.
State and Federal Government environmental approvals for the Kojaneerup works are currently being assessed.
February 2019: Mead Road works commenced
June 2019: Mead Road works completed
January 2020: Kalgan works commence
April 2020: Kalgan works completed
Late-2020: Kojaneerup section anticipated commencement