South Coast Highway Road Safety Improvements
Albany to Jerramungup
- Widening, sealed shoulders and construction of 3 passing lanes.
- A staged program is planned for three years.
- Improve road safety, reduce travel times.
- Motorists travelling between Jerramungup and Albany may be impacted by roadworks on the highway. Visit our Travel Map to find all roadwork, event and incident information you need to plan your trip.
Image: South Coast Highway with new line marking and cones on the road
South Coast Highway is the major west-east inter-regional route and the sole freight and tourism route from the Eastern States to the Great Southern. As a strategic freight route, it carries large amounts of freight to the ports of Albany and Esperance.
A staged program of road safety improvements is planned for the next three years, addressing the potential for road run-off crashes and driver fatigue, caused by the width and geometry of the road.
Mead Road Passing Lane - Completed June 2019
- Widened the existing pavement from 7 metres to 11 metres from Kilarney Road to Montgomery Winery, including a 2 metre sealed shoulder in each direction.
- Construction of a westbound passing lane between Killarney Road and Montgomery’s Winery, approximately 2.5 kilometres west of Kalgan River Bridge.
Kalgan Overlay and Widening – Works commenced early January
- Widening the existing pavement from 7 metres to 11 metres from Montgomery Winery to the Kalgan Bridge, including a 2 metre sealed shoulder in each direction.
Kojaneerup - Currently under development
This section of work will encompass 10 km between Bluff Creek and Kojaneerup West roads, including a passing lane in each direction.
- Two 3.5 metre sealed lanes
- Two 2 metre sealed shoulders providing a total seal width of 11 metres and a total pavement width of 11 metres
- Drainage improvements
- Installation of guard rails and kerbing
- Two passing lanes
- Detours will be in place for project construction such that the South Coast Highway will be closed to all but local traffic.
Works on the Kalgan section have commenced and are expected to be completed by early May.
Commencing Monday 3 February, motorists will be detoured on to a 200 metre side track while works to replace a culvert are completed. This detour may cause some delays and we thank you for your patience during this time.
Traffic management, including single lane closures for up to one km, and speed reductions will also be in place for the duration of the works. Please plan ahead and allow extra time.
Kojaneerup works are in development and could commence in late 2020, subject to environmental approvals. Tenders will be called June 2020.
South Coast Highway passes through farmlands, regional parks and nature reserves, each carrying varying degrees of environmental controls.
State and Federal Government environmental approvals for the Kojaneerup works are currently being assessed.
February 2019: Mead Road works commenced
June 2019: Mead Road works completed
January 2020: Kalgan works commence
May 2020: Expected completion, Kalgan works
Late 2020: Kojaneerup section - anticipated commencement