Reid Highway Dual Carriageway
Altone Road to West Swan Road
- Widening the highway and constructing Arthur Street Bridge
- Construction is due for completion by middle of the year
- Improve safety and ease congestion
Image: Pouring of the deck
for the Arthur Street Bridge in March
This is the last section between Marmion Avenue and Great Northern Highway that is not a dual carriageway. The dual carriageway between Beechboro Road North and Altone Road was constructed as part of NorthLink WA.
- A four kilometre, two lane second carriageway between Altone Road and West Swan Road (construction to occur on the southern side of the existing carriageway)
- New shared path and local links on the southern side of the highway
- Modifications to Reid Highway and West Swan Road intersection
- A new bridge over Reid Highway, connecting the northern and southern sections of Arthur Street
- Install bridge beams and deck for a second carriageway across Bennett Brook
- Extend the underpass to link Victoria Road
- Noise walls (location and design yet to be determined)
- Signage, fencing, drainage, landscaping and street lighting
The project also includes a new bridge over Reid Highway at Arthur Street to connect the growing communities of Caversham and Dayton.
Overnight works and closures of West Swan Road between Victoria Road and Suffolk Street
As part of the upgrade of West Swan Road and Reid Highway intersection, new road pavement, kerb, median and line marking works will be undertaken on West Swan Road, including the new and extended turning pockets from Reid Highway into West Swan Road and from West Swan Road into Reid Highway.
To ensure the safety of workers and impacts of road closures on road users are minimised, some of these works will be undertaken at night. Please see our Roadworks Update for detour information.
The project is entering the final stages of construction
The project has entered the final stages of construction with the new Bennett Brook and Arthur Street bridge surfaces nearly ready for asphalt to be laid. Our April Construction Update also explains how a new 4 m-wide Principal Shared Path will provide a smooth and safe ride into the Swan Valley, with signage and sculptures along the route celebrating the lives and stories of the Whadjuk Noongar people.
Update to PSP detour route
To ensure the safety of cyclists during construction, Reid Highway is closed to cyclists between Altone Road and West Swan Road until June 2020. As of 28 January, the detour route between Lord Street/Drumpellier Drive and West Swan Road will change. This change is due to works taking place on the roundabout at the intersection of Arthur Street and Grandis Road/Victoria Road in Dayton.
Read our latest update for more information
Arthur Street Roundabout Closure
The roundabout at the intersection of Arthur Street, Grandis Road and Victoria Road will be closed for up to five months from the 28 January. The closure is required to enable removal and reconstruction of the roundabout to tie in with the new Arthur Street bridge and relocation of the existing underground sewer main.
Read the latest roadworks update for more information
July 2018: Issue Request for Proposals to shortlisted applicants
March 2019: Contract awarded to Decmil Southern Pty Ltd
Mid-2019: Construction commencement
Mid-2020: Construction completion