Great Northern Highway - Muchea to Wubin Upgrade Stage 2
The Great Northern Highway (GNH) forms part of the National Highway Network and provides a strategic freight link between Perth and the State’s north as well as Darwin and the Northern Territory. In 2014, the Australian and Western Australian governments announced detailed planning was underway for a $385 million upgrade of the 218 km section of the highway between Muchea and Wubin.
In conjunction with industry partners Jacobs and Arup, we have completed a comprehensive planning review of GNH and prioritised a series of construction packages to be delivered by 2019. Managed by this Integrated Project Team, these works will significantly improve safety and amenity.
Improvements include town bypasses, wider roads, more passing lanes, flattening crests and easing curves, safer roadsides, more rest stops and additional facilities for heavy vehicles.
This project will ensure that the highway is able to meet the requirements of all road users and be suitable for use by 53.5 m road trains in the future. The key objectives for the project include:
- Improved road safety;
- Increased freight efficiency and reduced traffic delays;
- Improved network reliability - improving travel times and enhancing network access;
- Enhanced travel wellbeing - improvements in roadside amenities for rest and driver information;
- Contribution to sustainable and viable communities - by balancing community concerns, economic, community safety and network access issues; and
- Enhancement of the environment - by undertaking practices to retain and improve the environmental value of roadsides.
The packages identified are: