Marble Bar Road - Coongan Gorge Realignment
Jointly funded by the Australian and State Governments, the realignment of Marble Bar Road through Coongan Gorge will improve safety and efficiency for all road users travelling to the central Pilbara Region. Marble Bar Road provides access to a number of mining operations and local communities between Newman, Nullagine, Marble Bar and several aboriginal communities including Jigalong and Punmu. The four kilometre section of road through Coongan Gorge is currently a narrow winding section of road with steep descents, tight curves and restrictive sight distances.
As part of the WA Regional Freight Transport Network Plan this upgrade will significantly improve road safety and reduce transport vehicle operating costs and travel times. The contract to undertake these works was awarded to MACA Civil Pty Ltd and will also include the upgrade of the Marble Bar Road and Limestone-Marble Bar Road intersection.
Image: Mable Bar Road
Clearing works have finished and the Project is moving in to bulk earthworks, with a focus on foundation preparation and cut to fill operations.
Intermittent blasting will occur between 12pm and 5pm (maximum of three blasts a day) from 20 August 2018 until early December 2018.
Traffic will be temporarily stopped for a maximum of 15 minutes during blasting activities. Traffic management will be in place. Please follow the reduced speed signs if travelling through the work area.
Blasting activities for week commencing 20 August 2018:
- Monday 20 August at 3pm
- Wednesday 22 August at 3pm
- Friday 24 August at 3pm
Scope of works
Coongan Gorge Realignment
- Realignment and upgrade of the four kilometre section of Marble Bar Road that passes through Coongan Gorge
- Construction of culverts and off-road drainage
- Installation of safety barriers, signs and pavement markings, guide posts and road reserve boundary fencing
Marble Bar Road and Limestone-Marble Bar Road Intersection
- Right turn pocket on Limestone-Marble Bar Road eastbound carriageway
- Acceleration lane on Marble Bar Road eastbound
- Left turn pocket on Marble Bar Road westbound
- Left turn pocket on Marble Bar Road northbound