Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange
The Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange project is funded by the Commonwealth and State Governments as part of a $2.3 billion investment in road and rail infrastructure, announced by Premier Mark McGowan on 7 May 2017.
The project is a future-focused solution to support current and projected levels of traffic resulting from residential and industrial development in Perth’s northern suburbs. The upgrade will remove bottlenecks and reduce travel times on:
- Wanneroo Road - currently used as an alternate route to the Mitchell Freeway; and
- Joondalup Drive - a significant east-west access corridor between Mitchell Freeway, Joondalup City Centre and the expanding residential communities to the east of Wanneroo Road.
The replacement of a busy signalised intersection with a free flowing interchange will provide immediate safety benefits and shorter, more predictable journey times for all road users.
Preferred proponent and early works activity - 25 July 2018
CPB Contractors have been named as the Preferred Proponent following a competitive tender process. CPB will partner with us to deliver the project over an 18-month period.
In early August, CPB will begin its program of early works to prepare the site for construction. As part of this process, you may notice the following activities when passing by the site:
- Surveyors collecting information to inform the design process,
- Potholing to accurately locate underground services, and
- Geotechnical investigations.
None of these activities will have a significant impact on road users or local residents, however, please obey all signage and be aware of personnel working adjacent to the road.
Get involved - Construction Reference Group - 25 July 2018
We currently have a limited number of vacancies on the project’s Community Liaison Group, which will transition to a Construction Reference Group from September onwards. To fill these vacancies we are encouraging additional nominations from the communities of Carramar and Tapping.
The group will meet on a regular basis to discuss matters pertinent to the construction program. For more information, please see the Terms of Reference.
To submit a nomination to participate on the group, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, stating your name, the group/organisation (if any) you represent and a brief explanation as to why you would like to participate on the group. The closing date for nominations is Friday 3 August 2018.
Scope of works
- Grade separation of Joondalup Drive going over Wanneroo Road with two lanes in each direction
- New roundabout at current intersection of Joondalup Drive and Cheriton Drive
- New signalised intersection at Wanneroo Road and Clarkson Avenue
- Modifications to intersections with local roads (Drovers Place and St Stephen Crescent)
- A roundabout with two or three lanes
- Retaining walls and noise walls on intersection quadrants
- Road furniture, fencing, drainage, landscaping and street lighting
- Shared paths and bus facilities
- Driveways and accommodation works