Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange
The Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange project is funded by the Commonwealth and State Governments as part of a $2.3 billion investment in road and rail infrastructure, announced by Premier Mark McGowan on 7 May 2017.
The project is a future-focused solution to support current and projected levels of traffic resulting from residential and industrial development in Perth’s northern suburbs. The upgrade will remove bottlenecks and reduce travel times on:
- Wanneroo Road - currently used as an alternate route to the Mitchell Freeway; and
- Joondalup Drive - a significant east-west access corridor between Mitchell Freeway, Joondalup City Centre and the expanding residential communities to the east of Wanneroo Road.
The replacement of a busy signalised intersection with a free flowing interchange will provide immediate safety benefits and shorter, more predictable journey times for all road users.
From Friday 14 September, potholing works will begin to locate underground services before major works commence. This will take place along the verges and median strips on Joondalup Drive. Works will begin at the eastern end of the project area and move westerly as our team completes its work in each area.
Day works – from Friday 14 September:
- 7am to 7pm
- Speed limits reduced
- Intermittent lane closures
- Minimal impacts to road users and the local community
Night works – from Wednesday 19 September:
- 7pm to 5am on intermittent nights for up to two weeks
- Speed limits reduced
- Lane closures on all approaches to the Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive intersection
- Traffic management in place
See the September Roadworks update for more information.
A contract for the design and construction of the Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange has now been awarded to CPB Contractors. This follows the announcement of CPB as Preferred Proponent last month. Site investigations and early works activities are underway, with construction now scheduled to begin in early October.
Scope of works
- Grade separation of Joondalup Drive going over Wanneroo Road with two lanes in each direction
- New roundabout at current intersection of Joondalup Drive and Cheriton Drive
- New signalised intersection at Wanneroo Road and Clarkson Avenue
- Modifications to intersections with local roads (Drovers Place and St Stephen Crescent)
- A roundabout with two or three lanes
- Retaining walls and noise walls on intersection quadrants
- Road furniture, fencing, drainage, landscaping and street lighting
- Shared paths and bus facilities
- Driveways and accommodation works