Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange
The Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange project is funded by the Commonwealth and State Governments as part of a $2.3 billion investment in road and rail infrastructure, announced by Premier Mark McGowan on 7 May 2017.
The project is a future-focused solution to support current and projected levels of traffic resulting from residential and industrial development in Perth’s northern suburbs. The upgrade will remove bottlenecks and reduce travel times on:
- Wanneroo Road - currently used as an alternate route to the Mitchell Freeway; and
- Joondalup Drive - a significant east-west access corridor between Mitchell Freeway, Joondalup City Centre and the expanding residential communities to the east of Wanneroo Road.
The replacement of a busy signalised intersection with a free flowing interchange will provide immediate safety benefits and shorter, more predictable journey times for all road users.
Fact sheet - Bridge Construction
A fact sheet on the different stages of the project’s construction has been developed, outlining Stages 1 to 3 of the program.
Project Update - November 2018
The latest Project Update includes information on:
- Underground service location nearing completion
- Major works to commence in November including map of barrier installation
- Power line relocation and map of power lines
For intermittent nights over two weeks, starting Monday 29 October, works to locate underground services will take place in the intersection of Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive.
This is required to be completed before major construction works commence in November. Equipment to be used for these works will include a vacuum truck, a truck mounted attenuator and light vehicles.
Barrier installation - November 2018
Barrier installation will begin at the intersection of Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive in early November, allowing construction works to start on the new interchange.
Work crews will work at night for approximately two weeks starting early to mid-November. Barriers will be installed on all four corners of the intersection, and on the northern side of Burns Beach Road roundabout.
All night works will be carried out Monday to Friday 7pm to 5am, and will involve lane closures to ensure the safety of motorists and work crews during these times.
Please see our latest Construction Update for further information.
A contract for the design and construction of the Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange has now been awarded to CPB Contractors. This follows the announcement of CPB as Preferred Proponent last month. Site investigations and early works activities are underway, with construction now scheduled to begin in early October.
Scope of works
- Grade separation of Joondalup Drive going over Wanneroo Road with two lanes in each direction
- New roundabout at current intersection of Joondalup Drive and Cheriton Drive
- New signalised intersection at Wanneroo Road and Clarkson Avenue
- Modifications to intersections with local roads (Drovers Place and St Stephen Crescent)
- A roundabout with two or three lanes
- Retaining walls and noise walls on intersection quadrants
- Road furniture, fencing, drainage, landscaping and street lighting
- Shared paths and bus facilities
- Driveways and accommodation works