Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange
The Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange project is funded by the Commonwealth and State Governments as part of a $2.3 billion investment in road and rail infrastructure, announced by Premier Mark McGowan on 7 May 2017.
The project is a future-focused solution to support current and projected levels of traffic resulting from residential and industrial development in Perth’s northern suburbs. The upgrade will remove bottlenecks and reduce travel times on:
- Wanneroo Road - currently used as an alternate route to the Mitchell Freeway; and
- Joondalup Drive - a significant east-west access corridor between Mitchell Freeway, Joondalup City Centre and the expanding residential communities to the east of Wanneroo Road.
The replacement of a busy signalised intersection with a free flowing interchange will provide immediate safety benefits and shorter, more predictable journey times for all road users.
Image: Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive map from our January 2018 newsletter
Community Information Displays – March 2018
We are hosting three Community Information Displays to enable the community to learn more about the project, view the latest design and speak with members of the project team in an informal setting. Displays will be held on:
- Saturday 17 March, 1pm to 5pm
- Carramar Community Centre, 5 Rawlinna Parkway, Carramar
- Thursday 22 March, 3pm to 8pm
- Wanneroo Central Shopping Centre, 950 Wanneroo Road
- Saturday 24 March, 10am to 4pm
- Carramar Village Shopping Centre, 7 Cheriton Drive
March Newsletter – 7 March 2018
Our latest newsletter provides a snapshot of the traffic modelling analysis demonstrating why this upgrade is necessary and the details of our forthcoming Community Information Displays.
Changes to the local road network in Tapping - 12 February 2018
Safety improvements will be made at the intersection of Joondalup Drive and St Stephens Crescent, as part of the works being undertaken for the project. Please see our latest information sheet for further details.
Scope of works
- Grade separation of Joondalup Drive going over Wanneroo Road with two lanes in each direction.
- Modifications to intersections with local roads (Drovers Place and St Stephen Crescent).
- A roundabout with two or three lanes.
- Retaining walls and noise walls on intersection quadrants.
- Road furniture, fencing, drainage, landscaping and street lighting.
- Shared paths and bus facilities
- Driveways and accommodation works
At the project development stage, we will work closely with the relevant Local Governments to examine potential modifications to other local roads that will help address congestion on the approach to Wanneroo Road from the east and west.