Mitchell Freeway Southbound Widening
Cedric Street to Vincent Street
- Widening Mitchell Freeway southbound between Cedric Street and Vincent Street, providing 7 kilometres of additional lane.
- Construction has kicked off and is expected to be completed at the end of the year.
- Improve congestion through the area, particularly in morning peak.
Works form part of our overall plan to transform Perth’s freeways to accommodate population and economic growth into the future.
- Build an additional 7 km lane on Mitchell Freeway southbound from Cedric Street to Vincent Street
- Complete the missing shared path link from Glendalough Station to Hutton Street
- Improve median barriers between the railway line and traffic lanes with existing barriers being replaced with concrete barriers
- Provision of noise and screen walls where required
Temporary changes to the Hutton Street ramps at Mitchell Freeway southbound: May to August 2019
Extensive earthworks have commenced at Hutton Street in preparation for new cyclist underpasses being constructed as part of the project.
To enable these works, the Hutton Street on-and-off ramps will be replaced with temporary ramps. The existing ramps will then be closed to allow for the excavation and installation of the underpasses.
- Hutton Street off-ramp: A temporary off-ramp will be installed at Hutton Street, which will have a speed limit of 40km/h.
- Hutton Street on-ramp: A temporary on-ramp will also be installed at Hutton Street. Freeway access at Hector Street and McDonald Street will be closed, with road users detoured to Cape Street.
After the works are complete, access to the existing ramps will be restored and the temporary ramps will be removed.
See the Construction Update for more information.
As part of the project, noise and screen walls will be installed in various locations to reduce traffic noise and provide privacy screening for local residents. The latest Construction Update provides further information.
Shared Path Detours
A series of Principal Shared Path (PSP) detours are required to allow for the construction of cycling underpasses. The project scope includes a new PSP from Glendalough Station to Hutton Street, with two underpasses at Hutton Street and a bridge over Scarborough Beach Road.
The first detour will be in place from 25 February to October 2019, and will extend from Telford Crescent to Hutton Street in Stirling. More information and a detour map is available in our fact sheet.
Environment and community
We are committed to ensure early and ongoing communication is undertaken throughout the project to ensure you stay up-to-date. As the project develops from concept to detail design, more information will be available for our stakeholders.
While there will be some impacts during construction, we will plan to minimise disruption and inconvenience to road users and nearby residents as much as possible.
We invite you to complete a short online survey to provide feedback on how the project has been communicated.
- July 2017: Issue Expressions of Interest
- October 2017: Issue Request for Proposals to shortlisted applicants
- June 2018: Contract award
- Mid-2018 to end-2019: Construction