Mitchell Freeway Southbound Widening
Cedric Street to Vincent Street
- Widening the freeway
- Construction is expected to be completed in early-2020
- Improve congestion through the area, particularly in morning peak
Image: Project site with train on rail
Works form part of our overall plan to transform Perth’s freeways to accommodate population and economic growth into the future.
- Build an additional 7 km lane on Mitchell Freeway southbound from Cedric Street to Vincent Street
- Complete the missing shared path link from Glendalough Station to Hutton Street
- Improve median barriers between the railway line and traffic lanes with existing barriers being replaced with concrete barriers
- Provision of noise and screen walls where required
The additional freeway lane from Cedric Street to Vincent Street opened in late December 2019, improving traffic flow and journey times for road users. Resurfacing works have been underway since late last year, with the majority of the main alignment within the project boundary almost complete. The remaining resurfacing works will be undertaken during March, extending up to Erindale Road.
Shared path detours
Until April 2020 - Telford Crescent to Hutton Street
Until April 2020 - Combined detour from Goody Close to Richmond Street
Open the information sheet PDF for more information
about cycling safety on detours.
Environment and community
We are committed to ensure early and ongoing communication is undertaken throughout the project to ensure you stay up-to-date. As the project develops from concept to detail design, more information will be available for our stakeholders.
While there will be some impacts during construction, we will plan to minimise disruption and inconvenience to road users and nearby residents as much as possible.
complete a short online survey
to provide feedback on how the project has been communicated.
A Community Reference Group has been formed to:
Assist in identifying, discussing and providing advice on the community issues associated with the project
Exchange information between us, the contractor and the community
Provide representative community and stakeholder input into the construction phase of the project
Mitchell Freeway southbound from Karrinyup Road to Cedric Street
- 9 February to 1 March, 7pm to 4am nightly
- Lane closures, speed reductions during the day and night. Drive to the conditions
- Open Roadworks update document
Mitchell Freeway southbound exit to Hutton Street
Mitchell Freeway southbound entry from Karrinyup Road
Mitchell Freeway southbound, Reid Highway to Vincent Street
- July 2017: Issue Expressions of Interest
- October 2017: Issue Request for Proposals to shortlisted applicants
- June 2018: Contract award
- Late 2018: Construction commencement
- Late 2019: Phased openings of road widening
- Early 2020: Opening of PSP