Mitchell Freeway Southbound Widening
- Widening the freeway from Cedric Street to Vincent Street
- Construction has kicked off and is expected to be completed at the end of the year
- Improve congestion through the area, particularly in morning peak
Image: Mitchell Freeway Southbound Widening
Works form part of our overall plan to transform Perth’s freeways to accommodate population and economic growth into the future.
- Build an additional 7 km lane on Mitchell Freeway southbound from Cedric Street to Vincent Street
- Complete the missing shared path link from Glendalough Station to Hutton Street
- Improve median barriers between the railway line and traffic lanes with existing barriers being replaced with concrete barriers
- Provision of noise and screen walls where required
The following shared path detours are in place:
Mitchell Freeway between Bonnievale Street and Britannia Road in Mount Hawthorn closed from 21 October 2019 to February 2020, to allow for the construction of noisewalls adjacent to the Vincent Street on-ramp.
Open detour PDF
- Vincent Street ramp between Richmond and Stamford streets in Leederville closed from August to December 2019 to allow for the construction of noise walls.
Open detour PDF
between Telford Crescent and Hutton Street in Stirling will remain closed until March 2020, to allow for the construction of a Principal Share Path underpass at the Hutton Street exit.
Open detour pdf
Open the information sheet PDF for more information
about cycling safety on detours.
Hutton Street temporary changes
Two cyclist underpasses are being constructed at Hutton Street as part of the new Principal Shared Path connection between Hutton Street and Glendalough Station. To enable these works, temporary on-and-off ramps at Hutton Street will be in place to maintain access at the freeway.
A new permanent Hutton Street on-ramp was opened to traffic on 31 October 2019. Access to the freeway from Cape Street and McDonald Street is open, however Hector Street access remains temporarily closed until early 2020.
Mitchell Freeway southbound, Cedric Street to Vincent Street
Mitchell Freeway southbound, Powis Street to Vincent Street
Mitchell Freeway southbound exit to Vincent Street
Environment and community
We are committed to ensure early and ongoing communication is undertaken throughout the project to ensure you stay up-to-date. As the project develops from concept to detail design, more information will be available for our stakeholders.
While there will be some impacts during construction, we will plan to minimise disruption and inconvenience to road users and nearby residents as much as possible.
We invite you to
complete a short online survey
to provide feedback on how the project has been communicated.
A Community Reference Group has been formed to:
Assist in identifying, discussing and providing advice on the community issues associated with the project
Exchange information between us, the contractor and the community
Provide representative community and stakeholder input into the construction phase of the project
Open fourth meeting (April 2019) minutes PDF was held in April 2019.
- July 2017: Issue Expressions of Interest
- October 2017: Issue Request for Proposals to shortlisted applicants
- June 2018: Contract award
- Late 2018: Construction commencement
- Late 2019: Phased openings of road widening
- Early 2020: Opening of PSP