Mitchell Freeway Southbound Widening
Cedric Street to Vincent Street
- Widening the freeway
- Construction is expected to be completed in early-2020
- Improve congestion through the area, particularly in morning peak
Image: Newly sealed lanes with vehicles and traffic management
Works form part of our overall plan to transform Perth’s freeways to accommodate population and economic growth into the future.
- Build an additional 7 km lane on Mitchell Freeway southbound from Cedric Street to Vincent Street
- Complete the missing shared path link from Glendalough Station to Hutton Street
- Improve median barriers between the railway line and traffic lanes with existing barriers being replaced with concrete barriers
- Provision of noise and screen walls where required
The additional freeway lane from Cedric Street to Vincent Street opened in late December 2019, improving traffic flow and journey times for road users. Resurfacing works have been underway since late last year, with the majority of the main alignment within the project boundary almost complete. The remaining resurfacing works will be undertaken during April, extending up to Reid Highway.
Construction of the Principal Shared Path, noise walls and concrete barriers will be ongoing until middle of the year.
Shared path detours
Until May 2020 - Telford Crescent to Glendalough Station and Goody Close to Leeder Street
View the Fact Sheet PDF for more information on cycling safety in the project area.
Environment and community
We are committed to ensure early and ongoing communication is undertaken throughout the project to ensure you stay up-to-date. As the project develops from concept to detail design, more information will be available for our stakeholders.
While there will be some impacts during construction, we will plan to minimise disruption and inconvenience to road users and nearby residents as much as possible.
complete a short online survey
to provide feedback on how the project has been communicated.
A Community Reference Group has been formed to:
Assist in identifying, discussing and providing advice on the community issues associated with the project
Exchange information between us, the contractor and the community
Provide representative community and stakeholder input into the construction phase of the project
Hector Street access to Mitchell Freeway southbound
Mitchell Freeway southbound entry from Hutton Street
Mitchell Freeway southbound ramps closed intermittently
Mitchell Freeway southbound from Reid Highway to Vincent Street
Telford Crescent adjacent to Mitchell Freeway
- July 2017: Issue Expressions of Interest
- October 2017: Issue Request for Proposals to shortlisted applicants
- June 2018: Contract award
- Late 2018: Construction commencement
- Late 2019: Phased openings of road widening
- Early 2020: Opening of PSP