Hamilton Street Bridge Replacement
- We are replacing the aging Hamilton Street Bridge over the rail in Subiaco.
- Works commenced in February and are due for completion in approximately September 2019.
- Improve traffic flow, safety and upgrade pedestrian facilities.
The old timber bridge was built 99 years ago and had a 5-tonne load limit. Replacing it with a modern concrete and steel structure will ensure it is suitable for all standard vehicles and provide upgraded shared path facilities. It will optimise the road network for local traffic access and pedestrian and cyclist facilities into the future.
- Providing two 3.5 metre traffic lanes, two 1.2 metre shoulder lanes, and pedestrian and cyclist paths on both sides.
- Improved sight distances and intersection layout at Hamilton Road and Railway Parade.
- Upgraded lighting, signage and drainage.
Bridge beam installation
We will be working to install concrete bridge beams from 2am Saturday 29 June to 6am on Sunday 30 June.
Residents and business operators in the adjacent area may hear construction and machinery noise related to the works, and may encounter short-term road closures and lane restrictions during this time. Read more in our
bridge work update.
Trains on the Fremantle Line Rail will be cancelled on Saturday 29 June Please visit the Transperth website
for all replacement service details. All works are anticipated to be completed by 6am Sunday 30 June, subject to unforeseen operational issues.
The Hamilton Street Bridge and adjacent shared path closed on 25 February to enable works to begin. The closures are necessary while the old bridge is removed and replaced to ensure public safety.
Detours are in place to maintain access:
Road users will need to access Hamilton Street south of the railway line, Perth Modern and other facilities using the posted detour routes via Haydn Bunton Drive or Loftus Street.
Path users will be directed away from the existing railway reserve path to a detour using Subiaco Road and White Place returning to the PSP at Loftus Street.
Night and out of hours work – During June, night and Sunday works will be undertaken to prepare for the bridge beam installation.