Current status - Construction started in April 2018 and is due to be completed in mid-2019
The new section of highway, north of Pithara town, is now open to traffic. A 300 metre tie in section at the southern end is currently unsealed and will be completed over the coming weeks. The widening of the Northam-Pithara Road is also complete along with the new southern portion of works linking the Pithara southern section to the Miling Straight section. The new nine kilometre section provides a safer one metre wide centreline treatment and improved overtaking opportunities. Works will now focus on completing works through the Water Corporation Reserve and town. Road users are reminded to follow all traffic management and speed restrictions in place.
Contractor, HAJV were recently awarded ‘Team of the Year’ by Nudge, in recognition of their efforts and commitment to train and employ trainees. See our December 2018 project update for more information.
- 10.3 km of new highway, built next to the existing highway south of the Northam–Pithara Road;
- 5.7 km of highway widening and upgrade;
- 1.5 km upgrade of Northam-Pithara Road
- New overtaking lanes;
- Intersection improvements at Sheoak Road, Moller Road, Crampton Street, Northam-Pithara Road, Pithara West Road and Pithara East Road.
Modifications are planned for the road layout in the Pithara townsite including new bus bays for intrastate bus services. The existing intersections of Roach Street and Bonney Street with Great Northern Highway will also be transformed into cul-de-sacs to improve road safety in town for local and highway traffic.
Current status - Construction started in April 2018 and is due to be completed mid-2019
The newly constructed Miling Bypass was opened to traffic in March 2019 and provides nine kilometres of upgraded highway and 2.5 kilometres of side road improvements. The upgrades include an eastern bypass around the Miling townsite, improved flood protection on Miling-Moora Road, a safer one-metre wide centreline treatment, wider sealed shoulders and two new overtaking lanes. The project team is now focused on completing landscaping and general site clean-up activities.
- Construction of an eastern bypass, taking traffic around the Miling townsite;
- Re-alignment of Miling West Road to provide a direct access road to the CBH facility from the north of the town;
- A southern realignment of Miling Moora Road to avoid floodplains; and
- A realignment of Miling East Road to provide a staggered T-intersection for safe crossing of the bypass.
Current status - Work commenced in December 2018 and are due to be complete in early-2020
Earthwork activities have commenced, with cut to fill operations occurring in the southern end of the project. Highway traffic has been temporarily moved to a local access road. Road users are reminded to take care when driving through the project site. Traffic management including speed restrictions and lane closures will be in place when required.
Works will include:
- Construction of three km of dual carriageway (linking up with the NorthLink WA project at Muchea) and 10 km of new wider single carriageway through to Chittering Roadhouse.
- Realignment of intersections at Old Gingin Road, Reserve Road, Wandena Road, Maddern South Road and Sugar Gum Drive will also be realigned.
- The existing highway will be used as local access roads to avoid future congestion and provide safer access points to the highway.
Walebing and Wubin Upgrades
Current status - Construction expected to start September 2019
Works will include:
- Construction of four km of new highway through Walebing (the existing highway will be repurposed as local access roads)
- Upgrade of intersections with Midlands Road and Old Geraldton Road
- Upgrade to the Great Northern Highway intersection in Wubin to allow future southern access for 53.5 m road trains, access to local facilities and the Road Train Assembly Area
Map - Wubin
Map - Walebing
Current status - Planning
Progress continues on preliminary planning for the 66 km bypass of Bindoon up to New Norcia. One of the key constructions approvals, the Public Environmental Review document for the southern section, was submitted in August 2018 and will be available for public comment later this year. Remaining statutory environmental approval applications for the 18 km northern section from Calingiri Road to New Norcia are expected to be submitted in June 2019. This section is expected to require a referral under the EPBC Act 1999 at a Federal level, and a clearing permit under the EP Act 1986 at a State level.
A strategic review of road connections to the Bindoon Bypass was completed in September 2018, allowing the land requirements for the road reserve to be progressed. Land acquisition processes continue on three significantly impacted properties along the proposed Bindoon Bypass.
With the State Government announcing funding on 9 May 2019, the $275 million Bindoon Bypass is now fully funded for construction. Once complete, the bypass will allow 53.5 metre road trains to travel south to Muchea. Formal land acquisition processes for all properties and an indicative construction schedule will be communicated as soon as possible.
Works include a western bypass of Bindoon, providing a link between Chittering Roadhouse and New Norcia Bypass
Current status - Completed June 2018
22 km of new highway was constructed between Miling North Road and Gatti Road. It includes new overtaking lanes and additional rest areas suitable for heavy vehicles and passenger vehicles.
New Norcia Bypass
Current status - Completed May 2017
A six km bypass to the east of the historic town of New Norcia was constructed, including a new 88 m bridge over Moore River and a scenic lookout. The project has helped remove heavy vehicle movements away from the town, allowing for future development and restoration of the town.
Current status - Completed November 2015
Work on the 21 km section between Batty Bog Road and Walebing involved upgrades to improve geometry, provide more overtaking opportunities and improved safety.
Current status - Completed February 2015
Upgrades included an 11 km realignment to remove dangerous bends, a new rail crossing at Balidu-Bindi Road intersection and more overtaking opportunities.
In the Media
Great Northern Highway upgrade reaches new milestone - 05 June 2019
Safer Great Northern highway a step closer - 30 November 2018
Great Northern Highway's Miling Straight no longer narrow - 21 June 2018
Work underway on two key Great Northern Highway upgrades - 24 April 2018
Project savings allocated to Bindoon Bypass - 7 June 2017
Traffic and community impacts
Some activities such as earthworks and road construction may result in noise, dust and vibration. Managing these impacts is of high importance and undertaken in accordance with the project’s Environmental Management Plan. Where possible, works are planned to ensure minimal impact and local residents will be informed of upcoming construction activities.
Please refer to the Travel Map for up-to-date traffic and travel information.