Great Eastern Highway Widening
Anzac Drive to Gatacre Drive
- Construction of a 2.4 km four-lane dual carriageway.
- Works were completed in April 2020.
- Improve overall traffic capacity, safety and accessibility.
Video: Great Eastern Highway upgrades complete
This section of Great Eastern Highway, passing through the industrial and commercial estate, was the only section of the highway within the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder which was a single lane in each direction.
Improvements to this section of road included:
- Widening the existing road to two lanes in each direction
- Intersection upgrades
- Improving drainage
- Construction of driveways to properties
- Relocation of public utilities (water, power and communication services)
- Installation of footpaths
Works are now complete on the 2.43 km stretch of Great Eastern Highway within the light industrial estate of West Kalgoorlie. The existing surface drainage was replaced with an underground pipe system to help reduce flooding during heavy rainfall.
In addition to the widening works, the Anzac Drive, West Kalgoorlie Road and Great Eastern Highway intersection and six other side road intersections were upgraded. Over 40 adjoining property driveways were upgraded along with pedestrian paths and street lighting being installed.
More than 8,000 vehicles a day will benefit from this upgrade, many of which are heavy vehicles up to 53.5 metres long. The upgrade works have made the movement of all traffic including heavy vehicles safer and more efficient.
- July 2019: Construction commencement
- April 2020: Construction complete