Kwinana Freeway Northbound Widening - Russell Road to Roe Highway
Significant growth in traffic volumes over recent years has resulted in congestion and flow breakdown on Kwinana Freeway northbound, south of Roe Highway.
The State and Commonwealth Governments have committed $49 million to widen Kwinana Freeway northbound from Russell Road to Roe Highway, as part of a $2.3 billion package of road and rail infrastructure works, funded by the Australian ($1.6 billion) and State ($750 million) Governments, and announced by Premier Mark McGowan on 7 May 2017.
Upon completion, the project will reduce travel times and address congestion for road users in Perth’s southern suburbs.
This project forms part of our overall plan to transform Mitchell and Kwinana freeways to support population growth and economic development.
Contract awarded for design and construction
Work will soon be underway with the contract now awarded.
BMD Constructions Pty Ltd will deliver the works from Russell Road to Bolderwood Reserve in South Lake following a competitive tender process. The remaining one kilometre of works through to Farrington Road is underway and being delivered by the Murdoch Drive Connection project with the overall Kwinana Freeway Northbound Widening project scheduled for completion by late 2019.
View the media statement on the announcement.
Scope of works
The project involves widening Kwinana Freeway to provide a third lane for the nine kilometres from Russell Road to Farrington Road. Other works include:
- Construction of noise walls along the western side of Kwinana Freeway, where required according to noise modelling
- Upgrade and realignment of the existing Principal Shared Path (PSP)
- Modifications to drainage, kerbing, surfacing, lighting, road safety barriers, service relocations, signage and line marking
- Construction of Collector Distributor (CD) roads associated with the Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge project. CD roads are lower speed roads parallel to the freeway to provide merging opportunities.
- Construction of a fourth lane along Kwinana Freeway from the CD road on ramp to the freight rail line.