Kwinana Freeway Northbound Widening - Russell Road to Roe Highway
Significant growth in traffic volumes over recent years has resulted in congestion and flow breakdown on Kwinana Freeway northbound, south of Roe Highway.
The State and Commonwealth Governments have committed $49 million to widen Kwinana Freeway northbound from Russell Road to Roe Highway, as part of a $2.3 billion package of road and rail infrastructure works, funded by the Australian ($1.6 billion) and State ($750 million) Governments, and announced by Premier Mark McGowan on 7 May 2017.
Upon completion, the project will reduce travel times and address congestion for road users in Perth’s southern suburbs.
This project forms part of our overall plan to transform Mitchell and Kwinana freeways to support population growth and economic development.
Upcoming night works near Bolderwood Reserve
To enable works for upcoming sheet piling activities along Kwinana Freeway northbound at Bolderwood Reserve, we will be excavating, loading and stockpiling materials within the road reserve from 31 March to 10 April, between 5pm to 4am each night.
Due to the complexity of these works and space limitations of working within the road reserve, these activities must be conducted in isolation to other works, and to minimise safety risks to our workforce these works will take place at night.
See the Roadworks Update for a map of the works and more information.
Principal Shared Path (PSP) detours
On Monday 21 January 2019, the fourth phase of cyclist and pedestrian detours began. There are a series of detours
are in place to ensure the safety of cyclists, pedestrians, road users and our
workforce. See the detour maps for more information.
Changes to traffic conditions
Traffic management is being used to allow the freeway to stay open for the duration of the construction works. Changes include:
Reduced lane widths
Reduced speed to 80 km/hr;
Variable speed signs for further night time speed reductions and lane closures; and
The temporary closure of the emergency lane, with replacement emergency stopping bays.
To learn more about the changes to traffic condition read our Roadworks Update.
Scope of works
The project involves widening Kwinana Freeway to provide a third lane for the nine kilometres from Russell Road to Farrington Road. Other works include:
- Construction of noise walls along the western side of Kwinana Freeway, where required according to noise modelling
- Upgrade and realignment of the existing Principal Shared Path (PSP)
- Modifications to drainage, kerbing, surfacing, lighting, road safety barriers, service relocations, signage and line marking
- Construction of Collector Distributor (CD) roads associated with the Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge project. CD roads are lower speed roads parallel to the freeway to provide merging opportunities.
- Construction of a fourth lane along Kwinana Freeway from the CD road on ramp to the freight rail line.