Kwinana Freeway Northbound Widening - Russell Road to Roe Highway
Significant growth in traffic volumes over recent years has resulted in congestion and flow breakdown on Kwinana Freeway northbound, south of Roe Highway.
The State and Commonwealth Governments have committed $49 million to widen Kwinana Freeway northbound from Russell Road to Roe Highway, as part of a $2.3 billion package of road and rail infrastructure works, funded by the Australian ($1.6 billion) and State ($750 million) Governments, and announced by Premier Mark McGowan on 7 May 2017.
Upon completion, the project will reduce travel times and address congestion for road users in Perth’s southern suburbs.
This project forms part of our overall plan to transform Mitchell and Kwinana freeways to support population growth and economic development.
Construction Reference Group: Call for nominations - April 2018
We are calling for nominations for the Kwinana Freeway Northbound Widening Construction Reference Group (CRG). The group will be made up of local residents and community representatives to ensure open communication with the project team and provide a forum for asking questions and providing input where possible.
If you would like to nominate for the CRG, please contact us and we shall send you the Terms of Reference.
Newsletter - April 2018
Our first project newsletter is now available to view. The newsletter summarises the scope of the project, its associated benefits and invites community participation on the project’s Construction Reference Group.
Scope of works
The project involves widening Kwinana Freeway to provide a third lane for the nine kilometres from Russell Road to Roe Highway. Other works include:
- Construction of noise walls along the western side of Kwinana Freeway, where required according to noise modelling
- Upgrade and realignment of the existing Principal Shared Path (PSP)
- Modifications to drainage, kerbing, surfacing, lighting, road safety barriers, service relocations, signage and line marking
- Construction of Collector Distributor (CD) roads associated with the Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge project. CD roads are lower speed roads parallel to the freeway to provide merging opportunities.
- Construction of a fourth lane along Kwinana Freeway from the CD road on ramp to the freight rail line.
The northern section of the project, between Glen Iris and Roe Highway, is being undertaken as part of the Murdoch Drive Connection works.