Toodyay Road Intersection Upgrades
Toodyay Road carries up to 6,000 vehicles per day and a significant percentage of these are heavy vehicles.
Last year, $10 million from the State Government’s Road Trauma Trust Account was invested in upgrading five intersections on Toodyay Road through Gidgegannup.
In 2017-18, we are upgrading a further two sections of Toodyay Road with funding from the Road Trauma Trust Account. The first project is upgrading the 2.4km of Toodyay Road between Country and Reen roads, including the Stoneville and Reen Road intersections. The second is widening Toodyay Road between O’Brien and Country roads and upgrade the intersections at O’Brien and Roland roads.
The Road Trauma Trust Account collects its funds from speed and red light camera infringements. This funding is then allocated to road safety projects and initiatives that will help prevent the types of crashes that cause serious injury or death.
Reen Road is closed at Toodyay Road until Friday 9 March. A detour is in place via The Springs Road.
Stoneville Road will be closed at Toodyay Road from Friday 9 March to Friday 6 April. Detours are planned via Lakeview Drive and Country Road.
Speed restrictions and traffic management remain in place on Toodyay Road and side roads. Road users are encouraged to observe all signage.
Toodyay Road between Country and Reen roads
- Dedicated left and right-turning pockets on Toodyay Road at the intersections of Stoneville and Reen roads
- Left and right-turn lanes on Stoneville and Reen roads at Toodyay Road
- Relocation and extension of the westbound passing lane on Toodyay Road to the west of Stoneville Road
- Improvements to the Old Toodyay Road rest area on the northern side of Toodyay Road
- Widening of Toodyay Road to include 1.5m sealed shoulders
- Street lighting at the Stoneville and Reen road intersections to meet current Australian standards.
Toodyay Road at Roland and O’Brien roads
- 1 km of widening on Toodyay Road between O’Brien Road and Country Road to provide 1.5 m sealed shoulders
- Dedicated left and right-turning pockets on Toodyay Road at the intersections of Roland and O’Brien
- Left and right-turn lanes on Roland and O’Brien roads at Toodyay Road
- Safety barriers on Toodyay and O’Brien roads
- Street lighting at the intersections to meet current Australian standards.
We have optimised the design for this project where possible to protect existing trees and included additional barriers to allow pockets of vegetation to be retained. This has almost halved the number of trees to be removed for the works.
We have also followed a stringent environmental approval process to minimise clearing and gained the required approvals.
Any vegetation removed for the works in being mulched and re-used on site. We are also developing a replanting program for implementation next winter, with particular emphasis on the road reserve surrounding Susannah Brook.
We are also undertaking planning works in the Wheatbelt section of Toodyay Road.