Toodyay Road Intersection Upgrades
Toodyay Road carries up to 6,000 vehicles per day and a significant percentage of these are heavy vehicles.
Last year, $10 million from the State Government’s Road Trauma Trust Account was invested in upgrading five intersections on Toodyay Road through Gidgegannup.
In 2017-18, we upgraded a further two sections of Toodyay Road with funding from the Road Trauma Trust Account. The first project is upgraded 2.4km of Toodyay Road between Country and Reen roads, including the Stoneville and Reen Road intersections. The second widened Toodyay Road between O’Brien and Country roads and upgraded the intersections at O’Brien and Roland roads.
The Road Trauma Trust Account collects its funds from speed and red light camera infringements. This funding is then allocated to road safety projects and initiatives that will help prevent the types of crashes that cause serious injury or death.
Both projects have largely been completed however there are still revegetation to be undertaken to stabilise the banks of Susannah Brook.
A small section of Toodyay Road, east of Country Road, remains at 60 km/h and requires additional surface treatment. This will be undertaken in dryer months.
Western Power will complete the installation of street lighting at Roland Road and O'Brien Road intersections by the end of August 2018.
Toodyay Road between Country and Reen roads
- Dedicated left and right-turning pockets on Toodyay Road at the intersections of Stoneville and Reen roads
- Left and right-turn lanes on Stoneville and Reen roads at Toodyay Road
- Relocation and extension of the westbound passing lane on Toodyay Road to the west of Stoneville Road
- Improvements to the Old Toodyay Road rest area on the northern side of Toodyay Road
- Widening of Toodyay Road to include 1.5m sealed shoulders
- Street lighting at the Stoneville and Reen road intersections
Toodyay Road at Roland and O’Brien roads
- 1 km of widening on Toodyay Road between O’Brien Road and Country Road to provide 1.5 m sealed shoulders
- Dedicated left and right-turning pockets on Toodyay Road at the intersections of Roland and O’Brien
- Left and right-turn lanes on Roland and O’Brien roads at Toodyay Road
- Safety barriers on Toodyay and O’Brien roads
- Street lighting at the intersections
We optimised the design for this project to protect existing trees and included additional barriers to allow pockets of vegetation to be retained. This has almost halved the number of trees to be removed for the works.
All cleared vegetation was mulched and re-used on site or in nearby road reserves.
We are also undertaking planning works in the Wheatbelt section of Toodyay Road.