Brearley Avenue Closure
Brearley Avenue is now closed at Great Eastern Highway, Redcliffe.
On the night of Sunday 7 October 2018, Brearley Avenue was permanently closed to traffic at Great Eastern Highway.
Between 2016 and 2017, we upgraded the intersections of Great Eastern Highway with Fauntleroy Avenue and Coolgardie Avenue. We also closed Brearley Avenue between First Street and Dunreath Drive to facilitate construction of the new Redcliffe Train Station.
The final step of this staged process was to permanently close Brearley Avenue between Great Eastern Highway and Boulder Avenue.
In accordance with section 58 of the Land Administration Act 1997, we gave the public notice of the proposed closure of Brearley Avenue on 7 November 2017. The 35-day notification period, which provided the opportunity for the public to comment on this road closure, ceased on 20 December 2017.
We collated comments and submitted a report to the Minister of Lands, where the permanent closure of Brearley Avenue at Great Eastern Highway to Boulder Avenue was approved on 10 September 2018.
To enable the full closure of Brearley Avenue at Great Eastern Highway, a number of surrounding roadworks must be completed to ensure connectivity and access for residents and businesses in Redcliffe.
Staging of works
Stage One – Completed
- Works to construct a temporary U-turn facility for eastbound traffic, at the intersection of Brearley Avenue and Boulder Avenue, have been completed.
Stage Two – Completed
- Works to convert Brearley Avenue from a dual to single carriageway between Boulder Avenue and First Street have been completed. The northern carriageway has been retained and converted to provide two-way access.
Stage Three – Sunday 7 October to early December 2018
- On the night of Sunday 7 October 2018, Brearley Avenue was permanently closed to traffic at Great Eastern Highway.
- Works in the area will continue for up to nine weeks to modify the intersection of Great Eastern Highway and Tonkin Highway southbound off-ramp.
- Redundant sections of Brearley Avenue from Great Eastern Highway to First Street will be rehabilitated. This will include the provision of shared path lighting.
Local connectivity and access will be maintained while these changes are implemented, however minor delays may occur during periods of work. Please plan ahead and allow extra time for your journey.
Access to Perth Airport’s Direct Factory Outlet (DFO) shopping centre
Perth Airport’s DFO opened to the public on 3 October 2018.
The best way for motorists to get there is via Dunreath Drive after exiting Tonkin Highway.
The new DFO is also well-serviced by an existing Bus Route 935, which operates from the city to Perth Airport’s T3 / T4 precinct via Dunreath Drive. This service runs every 15 minutes during peak periods, and every 30 minutes off peak.
Since the partial closure of Brearley Avenue was implemented in January 2017, road users travelling to Perth Airport’s T3 and T4 have been redirected via Tonkin Highway/Dunreath Drive and Fauntleroy Avenue.
Road users are reminded to take note of updated directional signage along key sections of the road network approaching the airport terminals and to plan their journey in advance to avoid delays.
Operational ‘how to’ videos illustrating the routes to T3 and T4 can be viewed below:
You may also visit the Perth Airport website for a quick guide to help get you to the right terminal.