Brearley Avenue Closure
We are planning for the permanent closure of Brearley Avenue at Great Eastern Highway, Redcliffe.
In late 2016 and early 2017, we upgraded the intersections of Great Eastern Highway with Fauntleroy Avenue and Coolgardie Avenue. We also closed Brearley Avenue between First Street and Dunreath Drive, to facilitate construction of the new Belmont Station.
To ensure connectivity and access is maintained, in late 2017 we undertook the following additional modifications on Great Eastern Highway:
- Widened the highway at Coolgardie Avenue intersection to improve a new U-turn facility for eastbound traffic; and
- Modified the intersection at Boulder Avenue to provide left-in, left-out access only for westbound traffic.
The final step will be to permanently close Brearley Avenue at Great Eastern Highway. In accordance with section 58 of the Land Administration Act 1997, we gave the public notice of the proposed closure of Brearley Avenue on November 2017. The 35-day notification period, which provided the opportunity for the public to comment on the proposed road closure, closed on 20 December 2017.
We are currently addressing the comments received and will soon submit a report and recommendation to the Minister of Lands. Pending approvals of the closure, we will install physical barriers at the intersection of Great Eastern Highway and Brearley Avenue to stop traffic entering Brearley Avenue and erect appropriate signage to inform road users. This is expected to be undertaken in mid-2018, and take two months to complete (weather permitting).
When the closure is implemented, access to Redcliffe will be available via the upgraded intersections of Great Eastern Highway with Fauntleroy Avenue, Coolgardie Avenue and Boulder Avenue.
Scope of works
Associated with the permanent closure of Brearley Avenue at Great Eastern Highway are the following works, to be undertaken in mid-2018:
- Closure of Brearley Avenue between Great Eastern Highway and Boulder Avenue and rehabilitation of the redundant section of Brearley Avenue;
- Modification of Brearley Avenue between Boulder Avenue and First Street, by modifying the existing Airport bound carriageway to accommodate two way traffic and rehabilitating the redundant existing city bound carriageway over the same length;
- Modification of the intersections of Brearley Avenue with Boulder Avenue and First Street, to better suit the new arrangements; and
- Modifying the Tonkin Highway southbound off-ramp intersection to provide double left and right-turns.
Read our latest Project Overview for a diagram of the above.
Since the partial closure of Brearley Avenue was implemented in January 2017, road users travelling to Perth Airport’s T3 and T4 have been redirected via Tonkin Highway/Dunreath Drive and Fauntleroy Avenue.
Road users are reminded to take note of updated directional signage along key sections of the road network approaching the airport terminals and to plan their journey in advance to avoid delays.
Operational ‘how to’ videos illustrating the routes to T3 and T4 can be viewed below:
You may also visit the Perth Airport website for a quick guide to help get you to the right terminal.