Tonkin Gap Project (and associated works)
We are transforming Tonkin Highway to deliver a high standard, north-south transport link from Muchea to Mundijong.
The Tonkin Gap Project will address the current bottleneck where the highway reduces from three lanes to two lanes in Bayswater and Redcliffe. We will also be making improvements to access and connectivity for road users, pedestrians and cyclists in the project area.
The preliminary concept includes:
- Widening Tonkin Highway to provide at least three traffic lanes in each direction from Dunreath Drive to Collier Road
- Construction of northbound and southbound collector-distributor (CD) roads between Guildford Road interchange and Great Eastern Highway interchange
- New bridges over the Swan River, Guildford Road, Railway Parade and the Midland Line railway, and Dunstone Road
- New fully grade separated principle shared path (PSP) on the western side of Tonkin Highway from north of Guildford Road interchange to approximately Stanton Road with local connections
- Noise walls
- Upgraded lighting and intelligent transport technology infrastructure
As part of the same works contract, Main Roads will also undertake rail enabling works to support delivery of the METRONET Morley-Ellenbrook Line, on behalf of the Public Transport Authority. These works will help reduce impacts on Tonkin Highway when the main railway construction begins.
We have now confirmed the basic project scope and started to progress the various approvals to allow for construction.
Additional preparatory work currently underway includes:
- Geotechnical and site investigations and environmental assessments to inform environmental approval processes
- Liaison with the Public Transport Authority and Local Government to ensure the concept aligns with future planning for the local rail and road network
- Early identification of opportunities to collaborate with local government to enhance the river foreshore as part of this project
Expressions of interest from a number of construction companies to complete the work are currently being evaluated.
- 2019-20: Planning, development and design
2020: Begin Construction
Have your say
To volunteer for opportunities to be involved as we progress from planning to construction and delivery, visit www.mysaytransport.wa.gov.au