Tonkin Highway Gap
Great Eastern Highway to north of Guildford Road
- Widening Tonkin Highway from two to three lanes
- Planning and development now underway
We are planning to upgrade Tonkin Highway – delivering a high standard north-south transport link in Perth’s eastern corridor.
This project will address the current Tonkin Highway ‘gap’ where the highway reduces from three lanes to two lanes in Bayswater and Redcliffe. We will also be making improvements to access and connectivity for vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists in the project area.
The preliminary concept includes:
- Approximately 3 kilometres of three lane carriageway from Stanton Road in Redcliffe to north of Guildford Road in both directions
- Upgrades to the Guildford Road and Great Eastern Highway interchanges
- Duplication of the Redcliffe Bridge and upgrades to bridges at Dunstan Road and Railway Parade
- Footbridge over Guildford Road
- Cycling and pedestrian improvements
- Noise mitigation, lighting and intelligent transport technology infrastructure
Extensive planning and project development is now underway to confirm the scope and progress the various approvals to allow for construction.
- stakeholder consultation to identify the various issues/constraints which may impact the precise location of the road within the MRS reservation
- geotechnical and site investigations, traffic modelling and environmental assessments to inform environmental approval processes
- liaison with Public Transport Authority and Local Government to ensure the concept aligns with future planning for the local rail and road network
- 2019-20: Planning and Development
- Construction timeline is subject to environmental and statutory approvals and finalisation of project scope