Tonkin Highway Extension
- Extending the highway between Thomas Road and South Western Highway
- Planning and development now underway
We are planning for the future extension of Tonkin Highway – creating a high standard north-south transport link in Perth’s eastern corridor.
A reservation for the road extension has been included in the Metropolitan Region Scheme (MRS) for a number of years.
The project proposes to extend Tonkin Highway from Thomas Road, Oakford to the South Western Highway, south of Mundijong. The preliminary concept includes:
- Approximately 14 kilometres of four lane dual carriageway from Thomas Road to South Western Highway
- Construction/upgrades of intersections at Thomas Road, Orton Road, Mundijong Road and South Western Highway
- A grade separated interchange at Bishop Road catering for the Perth to Bunbury rail line and any future freight rail realignment at Mundijong
- A principal shared path along the corridor
Investigations are continuing on the proposed future freight rail realignment to identify the potential for the realignment to be constructed at the same time as the Tonkin Highway Extension project.
Extensive planning and project development is now underway to confirm the scope and progress the various approvals to allow for construction.
- stakeholder consultation to identify the various issues/constraints which may impact the precise location of the road within the MRS reservation
- geotechnical and site investigations, traffic modelling and environmental assessments to inform environmental approval processes
- liaison with Public Transport Authority and Shire of Serpentine-Jarrahdale to ensure the concept aligns with future planning for the passenger and freight rail network
- 2019-20: Planning and Development
- Construction timeline is subject to environmental and statutory approvals and finalisation of project scope