High Street Upgrade
Stirling Highway to Carrington Street
- Upgrade High Street in Fremantle
- Construction works are underway
- Improve safety, freight efficiency and traffic flow for road users travelling to and from Fremantle
Image: Artist illustration of pedestrians using the proposed High Street pedestrian underpass
Following consultation with the City of Fremantle, and taking into consideration previous feedback from local residents and stakeholders, a new draft concept plan has been developed:
- New roundabout at the intersection of High Street and Stirling Highway
- Wide median on High Street to separate traffic lanes and preserve a number of mature trees
- Single lane one-way service road for residents on the northern side of High Street
- New underpass at the junction of Forrest Street and Stirling Highway
- New underpass at the junction of Montreal Street and High Street
Constructing the Forrest Street Underpass
As part of the High Street Upgrade, two pedestrian underpasses will be constructed, one at Forrest Street and another at Montreal Street. Both underpasses will improve pedestrian and cyclist connectivity and provide safe crossing points at Stirling Highway and High Street. Our latest Construction Update explains how the Forrest Street underpass will be constructed while we minimise impacts to traffic on Stirling Highway.
After hours works west of the Carrington Street and High Street intersection
Construction will shortly get underway to widen the westbound lane on High Street, between Carrington Street and Wilkinson Street. This will involve re-aligning the current median and reducing the width of all four lanes on High Street from Wilkinson Street to Carrington Street. To complete this work safely and minimise disruption to daytime traffic, after-hours works will be required. After-hours work will take place between 7pm and 5am on Wednesday 1 April – Friday 3 April 2020, and on intermittent nights between Tuesday 14 April and Saturday 25 April 2020.
Please view our latest Construction Update for more information.
Advanced notice of access changes on High Street
From 7pm on Friday 24 April 2020, traffic will no longer be permitted to turn right into or out of High Street at Wilkinson Street, Chudleigh Street, and Onslow Street.
Delivering a lasting environmental legacy
Through a localised planting program and a wider tuart planting initiative, the project will deliver a lasting environmental legacy. Around 200 new tuart stock planted for each tree removed by the project. Please see our latest Fact Sheet for further information.
High Street construction formally underway
Construction of the High Street Upgrade is formally underway following a sod turning ceremony on 22 January. The WA Premier, State Minister for Transport and the Federal Minister for Population, Cities and Urban Infrastructure broke first ground on the project, which will significantly improve safety and reduce congestion on the busy section of High Street between Carrington Street and Stirling Highway. Georgiou Group will work closely with Main Roads to deliver the $118m project, following the award of a contract for Design & Construction in December 2019.
Read the Joint Media Statement from the Commonwealth and State Governments for further information.
High Street Upgrade to fund golf course changes and community facility
The project will encroach onto two holes of the Fremantle Public Golf Course and require the demolition of the existing clubhouse. It also required the recent demolition of the community facility on the corner of High and Montreal streets.
We will fund a program of accommodation works including the temporary reconfiguration of the golf course to ensure it can remain open for the majority of the construction period, and some long term improvements, including the permanent realignment and redesign of the course, a new club house and a suitable replacement for the community facility.
The City of Fremantle recently endorsed a concept for a co-located clubhouse and community facility in Booyeembara Park.
Read the City of Fremantle's Media Statement for more information.
High Street at Carrington Street intersection
- 14-25 April 2020
- Right turning movements prohibited between the hours of 7pm and 5am
- Detour via Stock Road and South Street
- Construction Update
- 19 April to 31 May 2018: Community feedback
- April 2018 to March 2019: Project updates, including the outcomes of the community engagement made available
- November 2018 to June 2019: Tender phase
- November 2019: Contract awarded
- Construction works anticipated to begin early 2020