Great Eastern Highway Upgrades - Walgoolan to Southern Cross
- Upgrade Great Eastern Highway between Walgoolan and Southern Cross.
- Construction commenced late-2018 and is expected to be completed mid-2020.
- Works are part of ongoing safety improvements.
Improvements along Great Eastern Highway include widening, overlay, realignments, overtaking lanes and bridgeworks.
- Realignment of curves near Carrabin (2018-19)
- Construction of a new westbound passing lane between Carrabin and Bodallin in the Shire of Yilgarn (2019-20)
- Widening and overlay of a 5.5km section of road between Walgoolan and Carrabin and improvements to the intersection with Lindley Road in the Shire of Westonia (2019-20)
- Widen and overlay a 4.3 km section and a 1km realignment between Carrabin and Bodallin in the Shire of Yilgarn (2019-20)
Upgrades are split into eight packages of works as part of a larger improvement project, which are in various stages of development and delivery.
Construction of the westbound passing lane between Carrabin and Bodallin and widening works between Walgoolan and Bodallin will commence later this year.
The following works were recently completed in Carrabin:
- Intersection improvements at Carrabin Siding Road and Westonia Road
- Re-alignment of sub-standard curves on east and west approaches to Carrabin
- Improvements to the information/parking bay access, roadhouse access, pavement and drainage
- Removal of an existing four-way intersection
In the 2018 State Budget, $17.2m was announced for Wheatbelt improvements.