Great Eastern Highway Upgrades
Walgoolan to Southern Cross
- Upgrade the highway as part of ongoing safety improvements.
- Construction commenced late-2018 and is expected to be completed mid-2020.
- Motorists travelling between Perth and Kalgoorlie may be impacted by roadworks on Great Eastern Highway.
Visit our Travel Map to find all roadwork, event and incident information you need to plan your trip.
Image: Aerial view of Great Eastern Highway
Improvements along Great Eastern Highway include widening, overlay, realignments, overtaking lanes and bridgeworks.
- Realignment of curves near Carrabin (2018-19)
- Construction of a new westbound passing lane between Carrabin and Bodallin in the Shire of Yilgarn (2019-20)
- Widening and overlay of a 5.5km section of road between Walgoolan and Carrabin and improvements to the intersection with Lindley Road in the Shire of Westonia (2019-20)
- Widen and overlay a 4.3 km section and a 1km realignment between Carrabin and Bodallin in the Shire of Yilgarn (2019-20)
Upgrades are split into eight packages of works as part of a larger improvement project, which are in various stages of development and delivery.
We are currently constructing the westbound passing lane between Carrabin and Bodallin, and widening works between Walgoolan and Bodallien commenced in late 2019.
The following works were recently completed in Carrabin:
- Intersection improvements at Carrabin Siding Road and Westonia Road
- Re-alignment of sub-standard curves on east and west approaches to Carrabin
- Improvements to the information/parking bay access, roadhouse access, pavement and drainage
- Removal of an existing four-way intersection
- Late-2018: Construction commenced
- Mid-2020: Construction completion