Thomas Road Safety Improvements
- Safety improvements and upgrades between Kwinana Freeway and South Western Highway.
- Improve safety, capacity and efficiency.
Since 2004, we have been investigating short and medium term treatments to improve safety and reduce the number of crashes on Thomas Road, between Kwinana Freeway and South Western Highway.
This section of Thomas Road is accessed by an average 17,000 vehicles per day, which includes 14 per cent heavy vehicles. The road will not be able to cope with the expected increase in traffic volumes as development in the area progresses.
To improve safety and ease congestion, works will include:
- Construction of a one-kilometre section of dual carriageway between Kwinana Freeway and Bombay Boulevard
- Construction of a dual lane roundabout at the intersection of Thomas Road and Nicholson Road (including construction of median islands, modifications to line markings and signage and upgrades to street lighting)
- Construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Thomas Road and Kargotich Road
- Installation of street lighting between Bombay Boulevard and Kargotich Road
- Shoulder widening and resurfacing works between Kwinana Freeway and Cumming Road
Work is being undertaken at the following locations:
Thomas Road between Kwinana Freeway and Bombay Boulevard dual carriageway
- Development work is expected to be completed in August 2020 with detailed design to follow.
- Construction is anticipated to start in late 2021, subject to environmental approvals.
Thomas Road and Nicholson Road dual lane roundabout
- Land acquisition has commenced, and detailed design and service investigations are in progress.
- Construction is anticipated to begin in September 2021.
Thomas Road and Kargotich Road new roundabout
- Detailed design work underway with construction expected to start in September 2021.
Thomas Road between Bombay Boulevard and Kargotich Road street lighting
- Design works are underway, however no funding is currently allocated.
Thomas Road between Kwinana Freeway and Cumming Road shoulder widening and resurfacing works
- Completed 4.3 kilometres of road along with new line markings and raised reflectors in June 2020.
Thomas Road and Nicholson Road roundabout
In accordance with our corporate Environmental Assessment Approval and Compliance Process, an Environmental Impact Assessment document has been prepared to assess the environmental impacts of the project.
An Environmental Assessment Report and Vegetation Management Plan will be submitted to the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation to obtain environmental approval for the project.
Nearly $26 million worth of upgrades will be completed, with funding coming from the Australian and State Governments, State Blackspot Program and State Capital and Nation Building Capital Funds.