Roe Highway and Kalamunda Road Interchange
- Construction of a grade-separated intersection, removing one of the last signalised intersections on Roe Highway
- Works are due for completion in early 2021
- Improve road safety, traffic flow and create a more efficient freight route
Image: Road signage at Roe Highway and Kalamunda Road.
This project involves construction of a grade-separated intersection at the Roe Highway and Kalamunda Road intersection including a new bridge, two roundabouts and on and off ramps.
Roe Highway is being lowered to pass beneath Kalamunda Road. This will minimise noise and visual intrusion for the surrounding residential area.
A shared path is included on the eastern side of the highway and on Kalamunda Road, with local links provided for pedestrians and cyclists. The path will then extend to Berkshire Road, completing a missing link in the Shared Path network along Roe Highway.
New drainage, street lighting and other supplementary works will complete the interchange.
Night works from 16 to 20 May
A series of night works will take place at the intersection of Roe Highway and Kalamunda Road from 16 May. This is required for the installation of beams to form the new Kalamunda Road bridge over Roe Highway and to install drainage and water pipes beneath Kalamunda Road.
Kalamunda Road, west of Roe Highway, will be closed on Monday 18 and Tuesday 19 May from 8pm and 6am to allow the drainage works to take place. Signed detours will be in place via Maida Vale Road or Great Eastern Highway Bypass.
Please see our latest Construction Update for more information.
Principal Shared Path partial opening and diversions
A new section of Principal Shared Path along Roe Highway between Maida Vale Road and Berkshire Road is now complete. We thank local residents and the cycling community for their patience during the construction period.
To allow cyclists to utilise the newly constructed section of path while additional widening takes place close to the Berkshire Road intersection, the path will open between Maida Vale Road and Sultana Crescent on the afternoon of Friday 8 May. Please see our latest PSP Update for more information.
Major milestones coming up
Next month, the project will hit some major milestones, with bridge beam installation, ongoing pavement construction and the opening of a new section of Principal Shared Path. To find out more, view our April Construction Update.
The project is running to schedule and hitting major milestones as we head into April. The new Kalamunda Road bridge over Roe Highway is taking shape with beams on track for installation by the end of next month. Please read ourMarch 2020 Construction Update PDF for more information.
Kalamunda Road east of Roe Highway
- Traffic realignment with one lane operational in each direction from mid-October 2019 until October 2020
Open roadworks update PDF
Roe Highway between Maida Vale Road and Kalamunda Road
- Traffic switched onto the northbound lanes from 17 December, for approximately four months. Two lanes remain in each direction.
- August 2018: Request for Proposals issued to shortlisted applicants
- July 2019: Contract awarded to Georgiou Group
- August 2019: Construction commencement of PSP extension between Maida Vale Road and Berkshire Road
- September 2019: Construction commencement of Roe Highway and Kalamunda Road Interchange
- Early 2020: PSP extension completion
- Early 2021: Interchange completion