Roe Highway and Kalamunda Road Interchange
- Construction of a grade-separated intersection, removing one of the last signalised intersections on Roe Highway
- Works are due for completion in early 2021
- Improve road safety, traffic flow and create a more efficient freight route
Image: Photograph of a green, white-lettered road sign at Kalamunda Road, near Midland
This project involves construction of a grade-separated intersection at the Roe Highway and Kalamunda Road intersection including a new bridge, two roundabouts and on and off ramps.
Roe Highway is being lowered to pass beneath Kalamunda Road. This will minimise noise and visual intrusion for the surrounding residential area.
A shared path is included on the eastern side of the highway and on Kalamunda Road, with local links provided for pedestrians and cyclists. The path will then extend to Berkshire Road, completing a missing link in the Shared Path network along Roe Highway.
New drainage, street lighting and other supplementary works will complete the interchange.
Construction Update - January 2020
Construction activity has recommenced across the site following a short Christmas and New Year break. Current activity includes the pouring of footings for the new Kalamunda Road bridge over Roe Highway and ongoing services relocations. In addition, the new Principal Shared Path extension between Maida Vale Road and Berkshire Road is nearing completion. Read our January Construction update PDF
Construction Update - December 2019
Construction of the interchange is well underway with completion on track for early 2021 . In recent months, construction activity has significantly increased across various locations of the project site.
Key activities include bulk excavation close to the intersection, services relocation and vegetation clearing on Kalamunda Road. The shared path extension between Maida Vale Road and Berkshire Road is also progressing well and on track to open in early 2020.
Read the latest Construction Update for more information.
Roe Highway and Kalamunda Road intersection
- Out of hours works: Monday 24 February 7:00pm – 7:00am
- Speed reduction to 60km/h
Kalamunda Road east of Roe Highway intersection
- Traffic realignment with one lane operational in each direction from mid-October 2019 until October 2020
Open roadworks update PDF
Roe Highway between Maida Vale Road to Kalamunda Road
On 17 December, traffic on Roe Highway was switched onto the northbound lanes for approximately four months. Two lanes remain in each direction.
- August 2018: Request for Proposals issued to shortlisted applicants
- July 2019: Contract awarded to Georgiou Group
- August 2019: Construction commencement of PSP extension between Maida Vale Road and Berkshire Road
- September 2019: Construction commencement of Roe Highway and Kalamunda Road Interchange
- Early 2020: PSP extension completion
- Early 2021: Interchange completion