Marble Bar Road-Coongan Gorge Realignment
- Realigned Marble Bar Road through Coongan Gorge, and upgraded Marble Bar Road and Limestone-Marble Bar Road intersection
- Construction started in mid-2018 and was officially opened on 6 June 2019
- Provide safe and efficient road access for a number of mining operations and surrounding local and Aboriginal communities.
Images: Coongan Gorge Realignment open to traffic and official opening
The four kilometre section of road through Coongan Gorge was narrow and winding with steep descents, tight curves and restrictive sight distances. This upgrade will significantly improve road safety and reduce transport operating costs and travel times.
Coongan Gorge Realignment
- Realignment and upgrade of the four kilometre section through Coongan Gorge
- Construction of culverts and off-road drainage
- Installation of safety barriers, signs and pavement markings, guide posts and road reserve boundary fencing
Marble Bar Road and Limestone-Marble Bar Road Intersection
- Right turn pocket on Limestone-Marble Bar Road eastbound carriageway
- Acceleration lane on Marble Bar Road eastbound
- Northbound and westbound left turn pocket on Marble Bar Road
The full four kilometres of realigned Marble Bar Road through Coongan George is now open to traffic. Finishing works including rehabilitation works, minor batter works and the completion of safety barriers will continue over the coming weeks and may require some traffic management with temporary speed restrictions.
Upgrade works at the intersection of Limestone- Marble Bar Road are nearing completion with sign installation and minor finishing works remaining.
The project was officially opened by Transport Minister Hon Rita Saffioti on 6 June.