Great Eastern Highway Safety Upgrade
- Upgrade a 7.2 km section of Great Eastern Highway between Bilgoman Road and Mann Street.
- Additional works recommended as part of a Road Safety Audit are due to be completed late-2020.
- Improve safety, efficiency, and enhanced pedestrian and cycling facilities.
Safety upgrades along Great Eastern Highway were completed in two stages:
Stage 1: Kintore Road to Mann Street completed in late-2017.
Stage 2: Bilgoman Road to Kintore Road completed in late-2019.
- 7.2 km of widening to provide sealed shoulders
- Upgrading 23 intersections, including new or extended turning pockets
- New street lighting to Australian standards
- New concrete paths linking 29 upgraded bus stops
- New road markings, advance warning signs and guide posts
- Drainage and safety barriers
- New crossovers to tie into existing driveways were also included for residential and business properties fronting Great Eastern Highway.
Following a Road Safety Audit in May, we will be undertaking additional works to improve sight lines at several intersections. Work, which is due to start in July and be completed by the end of the year, will include:
- Clearing vegetation
- Relocation of, and modifications to, road safety barriers
- Relocation of street lighting
- Reapplication of line-marking
- Improve safety and efficiency
- Enhance pedestrian and cycling facilities