Coolgardie Esperance Highway Upgrade Emu Rocks Section
- Upgrades to a 25km section of Coolgardie Esperance Highway near Emu Rocks.
- Project to commence in late 2020
- Improve safety and travel times
Coolgardie-Esperance Highway at Emu Rocks forms part of the Perth-Adelaide route on the National Land Transport Network and is the only direct sealed link between Perth and the Eastern States.
It is the major freight route through the Goldfields Esperance Region, with around 2 million tonnes carted on the route each year; 34% of all traffic on this section of the Highway is heavy vehicles and 11% are caravans.
Key works associated with the project include:
- Road reconstruction and realignment
- Shoulder widening and sealing
- Construction of passing lanes
- Upgrade of a railway crossing
- Intersection upgrades
- Line marking and audio tactile edge lines
- Service relocations; and
- Upgrade and replace culverts.
- Main Roads is progressing project development activities including the services relocation, and preparation of contract documents.
- Late 2020: Construction commence