Coolgardie-Esperance Highway Upgrade
- Upgrading a 25 kilometre section of Coolgardie-Esperance Highway near Emu Rocks.
- Due to commence in late-2020.
- Improve safety and travel times.
Coolgardie-Esperance Highway at Emu Rocks forms part of the Perth-Adelaide route on the National Land Transport Network and is the only direct sealed link between Perth and the eastern states.
It is the major freight route through the Goldfields Esperance Region, with around 2 million tonnes carted on the route each year; 34 per cent of traffic on this section of highway is heavy vehicles and 11 per cent caravans.
Key works associated with the project include:
- Road reconstruction and realignment;
- Shoulder widening and sealing;
- Construction of passing lanes;
- Upgrade of a railway crossing;
- Intersection upgrades;
- Line marking and audio tactile edge lines;
- Service relocations; and
- Upgrade and replace culverts.
Project development activities are progressing including the services relocation, and preparation of contract documents.
Late-2020: Construction commence
- Improved travel times
- Improved road safety
- Reduce maintenance costs of the Highway