York Merredin Road Improvements
We have completed safety improvement works along York Merredin Road, by widening 64 kilometres between York and Quairading. Widening works were completed in February 2019.
This project started in 2012/13, with widening along other sections of York Merredin Road, with the focus to improve safety and extend the road life. Audible edge and centre lines were also installed in addition to the widening works.
Works were undertaken in 2 km stages with the final result improving driving conditions.
Environment and community
We place great value on the environment, historic and Aboriginal heritage values and aim to balance this with the need to ensure the safety of all road users.
The project scope was originally amended to minimise clearing and we have made considerable effort to protect environmental features during project development, including:
- Avoiding mature trees where it would not have an impact on the proposed safety improvement.
- Where practical, widen one side only to minimise the environmental impact
- Native species common to the area are being used to rehabilitate road batters, surplus land (including the existing road), various tracks, and materials pits.
- An environmental offset included acquisition of 261 hectares of remnant vegetation.
- Construction Reference Group (CRG) were established to seek input to the project from the community. The CRG included representatives from local government authorities, road users, landowners and community groups (resident associations and environmental groups), local businesses and emergency services.