Charles Street Upgrade
Green Street/Walcott Street to Wanneroo Road/Wiluna Street
- Upgrading the busy section of Charles Street in Joondanna
- Roadworks starting in March 2020
- Improve safety and ease congestion
Image: Map showing planned upgrades
These upgrade works are designed to reduce the potential for crashes. Vehicles turning right from Charles Street into Walcott Street and Green Street will only be permitted to do so under dedicated green arrow control. A traffic signal mast-arm will also be installed at Wiluna Street to improve visibility of the signals and reduce potential for rear-end crashes.
We will also be:
- widening Charles Street and reducing the median width, extending existing right-turn pockets
- extending existing turning lanes at Wanneroo Road southbound at Wiluna Street and modifying turning lanes at both intersections
- modifying intersection alignments to improve safety for all road users
- upgrading pedestrian crossing facilities for vulnerable road users
Service relocations have been completed and Western Power has completed a program of work to underground power services.
Roadworks are expected to commence in March 2020 and be completed by August 2020. The majority of roadworks will be completed between 7pm and 5am to minimise disruption on this busy route. Every effort will be made to keep noise to a minimum. Road users should expect lane closures and speed reductions during relocation works.
- 2019-20: Service relocations
- March 2020: Roadworks start
- August 2020: Roadworks complete