Caves Road Safety Improvements
Yallingup to Augusta
- We are developing a project to improve safety on Caves Road between Yallingup and Augusta.
- Consultation with Community Reference Groups has commenced and will continue in 2019.
Image: Caves Road Imrovements
We are developing a project to improve safety on Caves Road. The project will include significant consultation with the community in order to develop a solution that balances competing needs and expectations.
Given the recognition and importance of the road, the outcome will be a community based strategy which uses a holistic approach for the full length of Caves Road. This strategy will be owned by the community, and will guide future planning and investment.
The scope of works will be determined in consultation with the community and may include:
- Sealing the existing gravel shoulders
- Reductions in speed limits
- Installation of audible edge and/or centre lines
- Line marking
- Installation of signs (tourist and road information signs) and retro reflective pavement markers
- making the road smoother in places where needed
- intersection improvements.
We support a minimalist approach and believe we can achieve outcomes that will make Caves Road safer. We aim to do this by:
- Consulting widely using a structured and well considered process
- Having the CRG inform the process and its implementation
- Identifying priority treatments supported by stakeholders
Two Community Reference Groups (CRG) have been established based on local government boundaries - the Southern CRG (Shire of Augusta Margaret River) and the Northern CRG (City of Busselton). CRG meetings were held on 17 and 18 September, and 26 and 27 November 2018.
A full day workshop took place on 21 May as part of our ongoing community and stakeholder engagement.
Focussing on a community-based and owned safety improvement strategy, the workshop provided an opportunity to:
- develop a better understanding of Caves Road;
- and discuss topics that reflect the roads values.
The workshop involved three components:
- Presentations from key stakeholders: Main Roads, City of Busselton, Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions, WA Police, Department of Fire and Emergency Services, Margaret River Busselton Tourism Association, Margaret River Wine Association and Shire of Augusta Margaret River
- Discussions about possible treatments to improve safety.
- Agreement about common themes for further project development work for Caves Road in the future. We will now investigate these themes and present at a second workshop, which will be planned for later in the year.
Wider community and stakeholder engagement will continue throughout 2019.