Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge
- A new bridge over Kwinana Freeway connecting to North Lake Road with upgrades to Armadale Road
- Construction is expected to begin in late-2019 and is due for completion in late-2021
- Ease congestion and improve access
Construction will ease congestion at Cockburn Central Station and the Cockburn Gateway Shopping Centre. The project will also provide a direct link between Armadale and North Lake roads, improve access to Kwinana Freeway and support residential and commercial expansion in Cockburn and Armadale.
The project also involves the construction of free flowing lanes on Armadale Road through Solomon Road and Tapper Road intersections with grade separated roundabouts introduced to retain full connectivity.
Other works will include:
- North-facing on and off ramps at Kwinana Freeway.
- Collector-distributor roads on both sides of the Kwinana Freeway from Berrigan Drive to Armadale Road
- Modifications to the existing North Lake Road and Midgegooroo Avenue signalised intersection.
A program of congestion relief in Perth's southern suburbs has reached another major milestone with a contract awarded for delivery of the project.
The Armadale Access Alliance - a consortium comprising Laing O'Rourke and BG&E, in partnership with us, will deliver a $146 million contract following a competitive tendering process.
Now that a contract has been awarded, the Alliance will enter into a period of detailed design. This will be followed by service location work and geotechnical investigations, with construction activity anticipated to be underway by the end of the year.
We will continue to work closely with the local community as the project moves forward.
Design option finalised for Armadale Road and Solomon Road intersection
In mid-2018, we asked shortlisted contractors to prepare proposals for two options for the intersection of Armadale Road and Solomon Road.
- Design Option A: Armadale Road elevated and passing over Solomon Road
- Design Option B: Armadale Road passing beneath Solomon Road in a trench structure
We also undertook extensive engagement with the local community to understand their preferred design for this intersection. This included face-to-face information sessions, electronic communication, Community Reference Group meetings and an online survey carried out earlier this year.
Following careful assessment of community feedback, Design Option B has been confirmed as the chosen design for this intersection. Armadale Road passing beneath Solomon Road will reduce the visual impacts of the project for residents living in the northern part of Atwell, while providing the same level of network performance as Design Option A.
Design option survey feedback
Our recent online survey regarding the options under consideration for the intersection of Armadale Road and Solomon Road received a strong level of interest with 400 submissions. The results, summarised in our Online Survey Report will inform the selection process for a preferred option.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the survey.