Williams Bridge Improvements
- Replacing two bridges along Albany Highway in Williams, one at the southern end of Williams (over Williams River) and one at the northern end (over Coalling Creek).
- Work is underway, and expected to be finished at the end of 2019.
- Both bridges are beyond their design life and incur regular maintenance costs.
We are replacing Bridge 25 over Williams River with a new bridge and pedestrian footpath, and Bridge 24 over Coaling Brook with a new bridge. Upgrades will also improve the road between the two bridges including intersection improvement Richardson Road.
A temporary bridge has been installed over Williams River until the end of the year to allow traffic to continue using Albany. Speed reductions are in place and oversize loads (over 4 metres) will need to seek an alternative route.
The intersection of Albany Highway and Brooking Street will be closed at times and a detour will be signed via Richardson/New Street.
The intersection of Albany Highway and New Street will also be closed at times with a detour via Brooking Street.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
Environment and community
Stakeholder consultation activities have been on-going since 2007 and have included presentations to the Shire of Williams Council, community workshops and the establishment of a Community Reference Group (CRG). The CRG was established to provide on-going updates on the project and to assist with key decisions. Nominations were invited from proactive local people and businesses.
Roadworks will be done in stages to minimise the impact to the businesses in Williams. Street parking will be limited during this time, however all businesses will be open as usual.
- Construction start: 19 November 2018
- Construction complete: Late-2019