Wanneroo Road and Ocean Reef Road Interchange
- Upgrade Wanneroo Road and Ocean Reef Road interchange.
- Construction commenced in March and is due for completion in mid-2020.
- To improve safety at one of Perth’s most congested intersections
Work will include construction of a bridge over Ocean Reef Road including signalised off and on ramps, service relocations and drainage improvements and realignment of paths and pedestrian crossing points.
Work has commenced on the Wanneroo Road and Ocean Reef Road Interchange, with traffic management in place from 8 April 2019.
Early works including; surveying, service location, clearing, removal of kerbs and roadside furniture, and the establishment of signage relating to traffic management. The work also includes the construction of a temporary alignment that will move traffic away from the intersection during construction.
While two lanes will be maintained in all directions for the majority of the project, speed reductions will be in place to ensure the safety of both road users and workers on site. If there are occasions when it is necessary to restrict traffic to a single lane in order to safely undertake site works, this will be done outside of peak hours.
Close coordination with the Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange project will be undertaken to reduce the likelihood of works with the potential to significantly disrupt traffic occurring simultaneously on both projects.
Read more in the Construction Update.
As part of the project, noise walls will be constructed in various locations to reduce traffic noise for local residents. Consultation is currently underway with local residents. See the Noise Wall Fact Sheet for more information.
There has been some interest in the community about the different design options considered when upgrading the intersection. An interchange Type Selection Fact Sheet has been developed to explain how the chosen option was decided.
A Community Reference Group has been formed to:
- assist in identifying, discussing and providing advice on the community issues associated with the project
- exchange information between us, the contractor and the community
- provide representative community and stakeholder input into the construction phase of the project
The fourth meeting was held in April 2019.
- October 2017: all for Expressions of Interest from industry
- April 2018: Request for proposals
- January 2019: Contract award
- Early-2019: Construction commencement
Wanneroo Road and Ocean Reef Road intersection
- From Monday 8 April 2019 (intermittent days), 7am to 7pm
- Speed reduced to 40km/h during work hours
- Short term single lane closures may occasionally be required. These will be implemented outside of peak hour to reduce the impact on road users.
- Roadworks Update