Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange
- Replace a busy signalised intersection with a free-flowing interchange
- Construction work commenced in September 2018 and is expected to be completed in mid-2020
- Making your trip safer and providing shorter travel times
Image: Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange
- Grade separation intersection with Joondalup Drive going over Wanneroo Road with two lanes in each direction
- New roundabout at current intersection of Joondalup Drive and Cheriton Drive
- New signalised intersection at Wanneroo Road and Clarkson Avenue
- Modifications to intersections with local roads (Drovers Place and St Stephen Crescent)
- A roundabout with two or three lanes
- Retaining walls and noise walls on intersection quadrants
- Road furniture, fencing, drainage, landscaping and street lighting
- Shared paths and bus facilities
- Driveways and accommodation works
Bridge installation ramping up
Within the next four weeks, the bridge piers will be installed, ramps will be back-filled and the last section of Joondalup Drive will be built. Please see our September Construction Update for more information.
Upcoming out of hours works
Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive intersection
- 19 August to 28 September, 7pm to 7am
- 1, 8, 15 and 22 September, 8am to 5pm
Bridge construction underway
During August 2019, we will start building the footings and installing the piers and abutments in the roundabout, and on either side of the roundabout along Joondalup Drive. There will be short term road closures after hours to ensure the installations are completed safely. Read more in the August Project Update
Traffic switch complete
Following a full closure, the intersection of Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive is now operating as a temporary roundabout.
As with any change in road layout, we encourage road users to be vigilant, approach the roundabout at the appropriate speed and give way to the right. Traffic volumes on Wanneroo Road during the afternoon PM peak period will be carefully monitored and temporary traffic signal will be activated if necessary to regulate traffic flow.
To see how the intersection was reconfigured in the space of one weekend, watch our latest timelapse footage.
Road users may experience some delays during peak times. We encourage road users to avoid the works area where possible and consider using alternate routes, such as the Neerabup Road exit off the Mitchell Freeway or Pinjar Road off Wanneroo Road.
Video: Timelapse footage of a temporary roundabout replacing traffic signals
- August 2018: Early works activity
- September 2018: Construction commenced
- Mid-2020: Construction complete