Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange
- Replace a busy signalised intersection with a free-flowing interchange
Construction work commenced in September 2018 and is expected to be completed in late-2020
- Making your trip safer and providing shorter travel times
- Grade separation intersection with Joondalup Drive going over Wanneroo Road with two lanes in each direction
- New roundabout at current intersection of Joondalup Drive and Cheriton Drive
- New signalised intersection at Wanneroo Road and Clarkson Avenue
- Modifications to intersections with local roads (Drovers Place and St Stephen Crescent)
- A roundabout with two or three lanes
- Retaining walls and noise walls on intersection quadrants
- Road furniture, fencing, drainage, landscaping and street lighting
- Shared paths and bus facilities
- Driveways and accommodation works
Changes in traffic conditions
Improvements to the Burns Beach Road and Joondalup Drive roundabout being delivered as part of this project will provide immediate safety benefits and reduce queuing times on the approach to Mitchell Freeway. The second stage of construction works is scheduled to begin 7pm Monday 25 May. Please see our latest Roadworks Update for information on changing traffic conditions.
Project works are progressing
Construction works are ongoing across all areas of the project site, with the new interchange rapidly taking shape. Works are also progressing well at the intersections of Wanneroo Road and Clarkson Avenue, and Joondalup Drive and Cheriton Drive. Please view our April 2020 Construction Update for more information.
Cheriton Drive and Joondalup Drive roundabout update
Construction of the temporary crossovers between the eastbound and westbound carriageways to divert all traffic to the southern lanes is nearing completion. This will allow the existing eastbound carriageway of Joondalup Drive to be rebuilt to the new design along with part of the new roundabout at Cheriton Drive. Drainage works and service relocations will also be completed during this stage.
A revised access/exit staging plan has been developed to retain all current movements into and out of Cheriton Drive except for the right hand turn from Cheriton Drive into Joondalup Drive westbound. Please see our latest Construction Update for more information.
Video: Timelapse of the bridge beam lift from November 2019
August 2018: Early works activity
September 2018: Construction commenced
- June 2020: Traffic moved on new bridge
- July 2020: Completion of the Wanneroo Road and Clarkson Avenue (signalised) intersection
- July 2020 :Completion of the Joondalup Drive and Cheriton Drive roundabout
- September 2020: Completion of the Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange
- Late-2020: Completion of the Joondalup Drive and Burns Beach Road roundabout upgrade
- Late-2020: Construction complete