Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange
- Replace a busy signalised intersection with a free-flowing interchange
Construction work commenced in September 2018 and is expected to be completed in mid-2020
- Making your trip safer and providing shorter travel times
Image: Artist impression of the Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange
- Grade separation intersection with Joondalup Drive going over Wanneroo Road with two lanes in each direction
- New roundabout at current intersection of Joondalup Drive and Cheriton Drive
- New signalised intersection at Wanneroo Road and Clarkson Avenue
- Modifications to intersections with local roads (Drovers Place and St Stephen Crescent)
- A roundabout with two or three lanes
- Retaining walls and noise walls on intersection quadrants
- Road furniture, fencing, drainage, landscaping and street lighting
- Shared paths and bus facilities
- Driveways and accommodation works
Local intersection works underway - February 2020
Important upgrades to two local intersections are underway as part of the Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange project:
- Upgrade of the Wanneroo Road and Clarkson Avenue intersection to traffic signals, include pedestrian crossings, dedicated right hand turn lanes and arrows, and a tie-in leg for the developers of the commercial property along Wanneroo Road (south of the Drovers Precinct). Read our latest Construction Update for more details.
- Construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Joondalup Drive and Cheriton Drive, to improve safety, traffic flow and access to the Carramar Shopping Centre. Read the Construction Update PDF for more details.
We appreciate the ongoing support and patience of the community while we undertake these upgrades.
Burns Beach Rd roundabout upgrade
Burns Beach Road roundabout upgrade Initial works on the upgrade of Burns Beach Road roundabout will start in late January 2020 and include surveying, pavement coring to retrieve samples and further underground service locations.
Out of hours works will be undertaken on intermittent nights during the following times:
- 3 to 8 February, 7pm to 7am
- 10 to 13 February, 7pm to 7am
January 2020 will be a busy month for the Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive Interchange project. By the end of January, the concrete pour will be underway on the bridge deck and construction on the remaining section on the north side of Joondalup Drive will be completed.
Read the latest Construction Update document for more information.
Construction Update – December 2019
The project remains on track for completion in mid-2020. Early in the new year, works will commence in various new areas across the project site, including the intersection of Joondalup Drive and Cheriton Drive.
Read the latest Construction Update for more details.
Successful installation of bridge beams
Sixteen bridge beams were successfully installed during the weekend intersection closure from 22 to 25 November 2019.
August 2018: Early works activity
September 2018: Construction commenced
Mid-2020: Construction complete