Toodyay Road Intersection Upgrades
- Upgrading Toodyay Road through Gidgegannup.
- Works were largely completed in mid-2018, however some sections still require remedial works and additional surface treatments.
- Improve safety and efficiency.
Toodyay Road between Country and Reen roads
- Dedicated left and right-turning pockets on Toodyay Road at the intersections of Stoneville and Reen roads
- Left and right-turn lanes on Stoneville and Reen roads at Toodyay Road
- Relocation and extension of the westbound passing lane on Toodyay Road to the west of Stoneville Road
- Improvements to the Old Toodyay Road rest area on the northern side of Toodyay Road
- Widening of Toodyay Road to include 1.5m sealed shoulders
- Street lighting at the Stoneville and Reen road intersections
Toodyay Road at Roland and O’Brien roads
- 1 km of widening on Toodyay Road between O’Brien Road and Country Road to provide 1.5 m sealed shoulders
- Dedicated left and right-turning pockets on Toodyay Road at the intersections of Roland and O’Brien
- Left and right-turn lanes on Roland and O’Brien roads at Toodyay Road
- Safety barriers on Toodyay and O’Brien roads
- Street lighting at the intersections
We have been maintaining the ‘bleeding’ seal on Toodyay Road, between Roland Road/O’Brien Road and Reen Road/Stoneville Road, by spreading aggregate on areas of excess bitumen on extremely hot days. As the weather cools the need for this maintenance will reduce and it won’t be necessary over winter. It’s hoped that the seal will be stable by summer 2019-20, so further maintenance of ‘bleeding’ seal is unnecessary.
Pre-seal repair works on the section of Toodyay Road between Country Road and Roland Road/O’Brien Road is scheduled to be undertaken in April, in preparation for a ‘final’ seal on this section over the 2019-20 summer.
We optimised the design for these projects to protect existing trees and included additional barriers to allow pockets of vegetation to be retained. This almost halved the number of trees to be removed for the works.
All cleared vegetation was mulched and re-used on site or in nearby road reserves.
We are also undertaking planning works in the Wheatbelt section of Toodyay Road.