South Western Highway, Balingup
- Upgrade South Western Highway in Balingup.
- Stage 1 works are complete, with Stage 2 currently unfunded.
- Works are part of ongoing safety improvements.
Image: South Western Highway, Balingup
Stage 2 works will extend from the 60/90 km/h signs towards the townsite and end near the bus stop. Upgrades will also see improvements to the intersection of Southampton Road.
Stage 1 works extended east from the existing 60/90 km/h signs, connecting to a section constructed in 2009.
Additional works included:
- Widening and sealing the road to create 3.5 m traffic lanes, with 1.5 m sealed shoulders in the residential area and 2.5 m sealed shoulders south of the creek crossing.
- One-metre wide painted centre median to the south of the creek crossing.
- New kerbing to reduce the clearing footprint and assist with the drainage system.
- Some vegetation clearing to improve sightlines.
- Construction of a cul-de-sac at Roberts Street to remove the hazard caused by poor sight distance.
- Installation of road safety barriers.
- Revegetation and topsoil re-spreading, which is due to occur in the wetter months.
Stage 1 upgrades are complete, with the final section of guardrail installed in February 2019.
We thank the Balingup community and road users for their cooperation during this important upgrade.
Stage 1: Completed February 2019
Stage 2: Currently unfunded