South Western Highway
Pemberton turnoff to Walpole
- Widening South Western Highway between the Pemberton turnoff and Walpole.
- Work is being undertaken in stages over a number of years.
- There is currently no funding available for the next stage, between Vasse Highway and Middleton Road.
We plan to increase the seal width from 6 m to 10 m, including the construction of fully sealed new shoulders. Where possible we will improve safety of road verges by flattening batter slopes and protecting or removing roadside hazards (predominantly large trees).
We have been working with our Community Reference Group since 2013, seeking their input into influencing the extent of work.
We have constructed 21 km over three years.
We are progressing planning in response to concerns raised by the community for a section highway south of Pemberton between Vasse Highway and Middleton Road.
Land is required from National Parks and possibly from some private properties, although this is expected to be minimal. The works are likely to reflect the existing highway alignment with no significant realignment or reconstruction proposed. The initial focus will reflect business, tourism, safety impacts and traffic volumes with a preliminary design for the 10 km section north of Middleton Road currently being developed.
- March 2018: Completion of a 5.5km section from Railway Road to Deep River (including retention of many large trees).
- March 2017: Completion of a 5 km section starting 1.5 km north of Centre Road and extending to 2 km north of Mandalay Beach Road.
- March 2016: Completion of an 8.5 km section of South Western Highway from Ordnance Road to 1.5 km north of Centre Road.