Karel Avenue Upgrade
- Upgrade Roe Highway and Karel Avenue interchange including widening Karel Avenue bridge
- Construction commenced in July 2019 and is due for completion by late-2020
- Reduce congestion, improve access and support development of the Jandakot Industrial Area
Image: Karel Avenue bridge over Roe Highway, with corrugated metal pipes
- Widening Karel Avenue bridge over Roe Highway to create a dual carriageway, connecting at the two-lane dog-bone roundabouts for on and off-ramps
- Extending Karel Avenue bridge across the freight railway line located immediately south of Roe Highway to facilitate construction of the Thornlie-Cockburn Link as part of METRONET - Visit the METRONET website for more information.
- Extending the existing Karel Avenue underpass to accommodate the widening
- Modifying the existing Training Place intersection to left in and left out to promote safe access
- Widening of Karel Avenue between the Farrington Road intersection and Roe Highway to four lanes
- Widening of Karel Avenue between Roe Highway and the Berrigan Drive roundabout to a four-lane dual carriageway, including modifications to the roundabout approaches to enable two lanes in each direction
Upcoming after-hours work - early 2020
Intermittent after-hours works on Karel Avenue, Berrigan Drive, Spartan Street and Roe Highway are required in February from 7pm and 7am on intermittent nights. Roe Highway works will commence at 5.30am. See the roadworks update for more information.
Open Roadworks Update document for more information.
Pedestrian and cyclist detours
Temporary closure of the shared path north of Karel Avenue and Roe Highway bridge is required from September until mid-2020. Path users will be detoured via Karel Avenue northbound to Dimond Court and through to Fern Leaf Court.
The shared path on Karel Avenue will be deviated to the eastern side of Karel Avenue between Training Place and the Roe Highway Bridge from 24 February to 30 April.
View path detour map
Karel Avenue from Farrington Road to Berrigan Drive
Roe Highway westbound access from Karel Avenue
- 30 November 2017: Call for expressions of interests from industry
- 1 May 2018: Issue request for proposals to shortlisted applicants
- May 2019: Contract award
- July 2019 to late 2020: Construction