Karel Avenue Upgrade
- Upgrade Roe Highway and Karel Avenue interchange including widening Karel Avenue bridge
- Construction commenced in July 2019 and is due for completion by late-2020
- Reduce congestion, improve access and support development of the Jandakot Industrial Area
Image: Karel Avenue with construction workers and equipment. Motorists driving on
- Widening Karel Avenue bridge over Roe Highway to create a dual carriageway, connecting at the two-lane dog-bone roundabouts for on and off-ramps
- Extending Karel Avenue bridge across the freight railway line located immediately south of Roe Highway to facilitate construction of the Thornlie-Cockburn Link as part of METRONET - Visit the METRONET website for more information.
- Extending the existing Karel Avenue underpass to accommodate the widening
- Modifying the existing Training Place intersection to left in and left out to promote safe access
- Widening of Karel Avenue between the Farrington Road intersection and Roe Highway to four lanes
- Widening of Karel Avenue between Roe Highway and the Berrigan Drive roundabout to a four-lane dual carriageway, including modifications to the roundabout approaches to enable two lanes in each direction
Upgrade works are progressing well at the interchange:
- Traffic is now on the recently widened lanes on the eastern side of Karel Avenue, while the new northbound Karel Avenue lanes and shared path are being constructed.
- A temporary roundabout is in place at Berrigan Drive to enable the remaining eastern side of the intersection, including the shared path, to be completed.
- Extensions are underway to the northern and southern bridge abutments at the Karel Avenue bridge over Roe Highway.
- Widening and re-asphalting the Roe Highway westbound off-ramp, and Roe Highway eastbound on-ramp.
Read more in the April 2020 Construction Update.
Upcoming after hours work
After-hours works will be required intermittently in May between 7pm and 7am. Construction activities include re-asphalting sections of Karel Avenue. These works and vehicle movements will likely be noticeable to nearby residents and equipment will operate intermittently to help minimise noise levels.
Thursday 15 May, 7pm to 5am - Karel Avenue between Farrington Road and Roe Highway
- Re-asphalting the Karel Avenue northbound carriageway from north of Dimond Court to Roe Highway (see map below)
Tuesday 19 May, 7pm to 5am - Karel Avenue over Roe Highway and Roe Highway median works
- Karel Avenue bridge over Roe Highway - Digger and on-foot personnel to remove existing parapets.
- Roe Highway median: removal of Western Power street-light.
Please note these are projected timeframes and are subject to change due to weather and/or other factors.
Read more in the Roadworks Update document.
Pedestrian and cyclist detours
The Principal Shared Path (PSP) detour route changed from Wednesday 13 May. This will enable the widening of Roe Highway to Karel Avenue eastbound off-ramp and to upgrade of the adjacent PSP. View the PSP update for more details including a detour map.
Roe Highway near Karel Avenue
- Lane closures and speed reductions on 19 May from 7pm to 5am
Karel Avenue from Farrington Road to Berrigan Drive
- 30 November 2017: Call for expressions of interests from industry
- 1 May 2018: Issue request for proposals to shortlisted applicants
- May 2019: Contract award
- July 2019 to late 2020: Construction