Gibb River Road Upgrade
Derby Highway to Fairfield-Leopold Downs Road
- Upgrading and sealing sections of Gibb River Road.
- Stage 1 works are complete, with Stage 2 currently unfunded.
- Works are part of ongoing safety and accessibility improvements.
- Sealing sections to 8 metres wide with improved drainage facilities and increased sight distance.
- Reconstruction of existing narrowed sealed sections.
- Road realignment, drainage improvements, installation of culverts and floodways.
Project development activities are underway with plans to construct and seal sections of the road over next three years, dependent on funding availability.
Environment and heritage
This project has been assessed and approved by the Department of Water and Environment Regulation under our CPS 818 purpose permit.
Environmental impacts will be managed under a Construction Environmental Management Plan and a Revegetation Plan.
We have obtained clearances for the upgrade works in consultation with the Warrwa Native Title Claimants.
- 2015-18: Completed 53 km of upgrades between Bungarun Road and Blina Road
- 2019: Project development activities underway
- Improved road safety
- Reduced commercial transport costs
- Reduced road closures due to flooding
- Reduced maintenance costs
- Improved access for Aboriginal communities and tourism