Mitchell Freeway Southbound Upgrade
Hodges Drive to Hepburn Avenue
- Almost nine kilometres of widening to provide a third southbound lane
- Currently in planning and development stage
- Construction is scheduled to commence in late-2020
Image: Mitchell Freeway southbound congested with two lanes of traffic
Planning is underway to build a third lane on Mitchell Freeway southbound from Hodges Drive to Hepburn Avenue which, combined with the recent widening from Cedric Street to Vincent Street, will increase the freeway's capacity by 50 per cent.
As part of the project we will install sections of new concrete barriers adjacent to the rail reserve from Hodges Drive to Reid Highway.
Subject to statutory approvals, the project may also include:
- Principal Shared Path (PSP) construction, upgrades and local connections
- Verge-side emergency stopping bays
- Modifications to freeway on-ramps to enable future ramp signalling at Hodges Drive, Ocean Reef Road, Whitfords Avenue, and Hepburn Avenue
- Noise and amenity walls where required
The project will lead to shorter, more reliable journey times and provide relief for up to 51,000 motorists per day.
Expressions of interest have been sought from industry for a design and construct contract, with three consortia shortlisted and invited to submit detailed proposals. We anticipate contract award in October.
Current activities include:
- noise monitoring to determine the locations and heights of any noise or amenity walls which may need to be built;
- consultation with adjacent property owners, businesses and key stakeholders, as required;
- site investigations for service relocations, being undertaken throughout 2020; and
- design work to finalise project details in readiness for construction.
Procurement: Commencing March 2020
Contract award: October 2020
Construction: Late-2020 to late-2022